May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
These are becoming my touch and go CTX settings for the beaches around me. Anyone have any suggestions? I am on the US East Coast...so think FL/Myrtle Beach type sand (I am in wilmington nc)

Target trace/PP: On
Sensitivity: Manual...usually about +6 recommended is as high as I can go but I change this several times during hunt.
Vol Gain: 30
Threshold level: 30
Vol limit: 25-30
Threshold Pitch: 15
GB: Off
GPS: One because I remember findpoints...all nickels, quarters, and jewelry

And you can see the rest of my settings here:

28948154411_a561e3c76a.jpg

28991340896_dc8e724c06.jpg

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice.

But..... it depends on what you are looking for. Your screen says you will react to mostly everything.

My screen is much tighter, based on my desired proportions between laziness times beer consumption verses digging.

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Currently use CTX, Excalibur
Have used V3I, DFX, BHID, ATX, Etrac, TDI, Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why the threshold level at 30?
It should be as low as possible, just so you can hear it

OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for the feedback thus far...

But..... it depends on what you are looking for. Your screen says you will react to mostly everything.

Yes I am trying to hear everything at this point. I have a more trashy setting for the dry beach but most of my hunting is on pretty clean wetsand. I do switch it to that other setting when needed.

Why the threshold level at 30?
It should be as low as possible, just so you can hear it

Waterproof earbuds don't have the best sound. Threshold is just loud enough that I can hear breaks. this is a setting that would change if I used different earphones.

Last edited:

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In responce try "Pitch hold" will give you an idea when you go over something that you can't hear with the threshold. I also reverse hunt. Wide open screen then if I find something I will switch to the closed screen.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the feedback thus far...

Yes I am trying to hear everything at this point. I have a more trashy setting for the dry beach but most of my hunting is on pretty clean wetsand. I do switch it to that other setting when needed.

Waterproof earbuds don't have the best sound. Threshold is just loud enough that I can hear breaks. this is a setting that would change if I used different earphones.

The issue is that how is a signal going to break through the threshold if both are set to max? You may be missing some targets.

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Currently use CTX, Excalibur
Have used V3I, DFX, BHID, ATX, Etrac, TDI, Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Waterproof earbuds don't have the best sound"

Get rid of the ear buds and go back to the headphones. The tones/sound is very important if you don't have the "best sound" you are going to miss a lot.

The threshold is set so it will sound off on objects above its level. If you have it all the way up it limits what it will respond to. I think you would be better off not hearing the threshold then to have it set at 30. Keep "deep on" and you will hear most things except items just above the threshold -very small items, usually junk anyway like small rivet heads.

I was out in the surf with my wireless by putting it in a waterproof bag. Just need to be conscious of large waves and not getting the headphones wet. Usually don't go too deep, waist high, because of the drag of the CTX, the coil & shaft are not designed for low water resistance and gives a good workout.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That threshold is about at least double where it should be! You actually defeating the purpose of being able to hear the faint targets.
I actually prefer pitch hold (same mode as excal and sovereign) if targets are few and far between which will give a a threshold pitch change when you sweep over a target that may be just out of range to give a target response. I usually like Auto sens in this mode because falsing will drive you bonkers with the changing threshold pitch.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread