Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure exactly what you want to know, HighVDI. The simple answer is, they are "Ferrous" and "Conductive" numbers (which I'm sure you already know), though those are really just names given to them by the engineers. What they are "exactly," which is what you asked, gets very technical, very quickly, and involves concepts such as the "reactive component" of a receive signal, a target's "time constant," etc. If you want more info on these things, I can give you a good link.

But I'm guessing what you are really asking is, how do you use them to your advantage, right? Basically, just think of it as a "more detailed" way of identifying a target -- instead of say 0-99 segments of ID (100 different numbers), you instead have 1,750 different two-digit combinations to identify targets with, on an E-Trac or a CTX (which is why there are 1,750 "pixels" on your smartfind screen). The way the receive signals are processed in FBS allows a more more accurate "binning" of targets into proper categories, particularly in soil that is less than "mild," and particularly on deeper targets. Iron content in the ground obviously causes "ID inaccuracy" problems, and by analyzing the FE and CO properties of targets, Minelab's FBS algorithms more effectively identify targets than traditional single-frequency VLF machines.

The bottom line is, as I'm sure you know, most "good" targets, in average soil, that aren't TOO deep, will generally have a FE number near "12," while nails and such will usually have FE numbers in the low to mid 30s.

Not sure if I've answered your question at all, or not...

Steve

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure exactly what you want to know, HighVDI. The simple answer is, they are "Ferrous" and "Conductive" numbers (which I'm sure you already know), though those are really just names given to them by the engineers. What they are "exactly," which is what you asked, gets very technical, very quickly, and involves concepts such as the "reactive component" of a receive signal, a target's "time constant," etc. If you want more info on these things, I can give you a good link.

But I'm guessing what you are really asking is, how do you use them to your advantage, right? Basically, just think of it as a "more detailed" way of identifying a target -- instead of say 0-99 segments of ID (100 different numbers), you instead have 1,750 different two-digit combinations to identify targets with, on an E-Trac or a CTX (which is why there are 1,750 "pixels" on your smartfind screen). The way the receive signals are processed in FBS allows a more more accurate "binning" of targets into proper categories, particularly in soil that is less than "mild," and particularly on deeper targets. Iron content in the ground obviously causes "ID inaccuracy" problems, and by analyzing the FE and CO properties of targets, Minelab's FBS algorithms more effectively identify targets than traditional single-frequency VLF machines.

The bottom line is, as I'm sure you know, most "good" targets, in average soil, that aren't TOO deep, will generally have a FE number near "12," while nails and such will usually have FE numbers in the low to mid 30s.

Not sure if I've answered your question at all, or not...

Steve

I see. I was seeking advice more to what you mentioned at the end of your post. Like the first two digit numbers mean this.....and the second two mean this, or indicate it could be this. It's just Greek to a user of 1-99 VDI numbers. We have went back and forth about the equinox before. I saw that also has a basic number setup. Obviously it starts at different points and not as broad as my current f75.

Like I've said I've always been curious about the Minelab stuff and would like to give one a try. Just nice to learn a little about them before dropping the coin.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You still have the usual CO number on the right, same as you are used to with all detectors. On the left is the FE number, which in a perfect world will remain at 12 for coins and jewelry. IIRC, 12-13 nickel, 12-40 dime, 12-42 quarter etc... In reality the numbers bounce around a bit as you would expect but VERY helpful in target ID.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You still have the usual CO number on the right, same as you are used to with all detectors. On the left is the FE number, which in a perfect world will remain at 12 for coins and jewelry. IIRC, 12-13 nickel, 12-40 dime, 12-42 quarter etc... In reality the numbers bounce around a bit as you would expect but VERY helpful in target ID.

Gotcha! This is exactly what I meant. Makes total sense now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread