Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a fix for the bad ergonomics of both units. Remove the upper handle. Remove the control unit at the base. Acquire a Tesoro "S" handle and replace the Minelab handle with that. Attach the control unit to the Tesoro handle. I've seen those handles for $20-40 each. It's an easy fix. Not perfect, but not bad. Vferrari and I played around with the two brands on Saturday. Fit is ALMOST perfect. Since you are NOT drilling holes (one) n anything but the Tesoro handle for the control unit, warranty should be good to go.

For a lot of you it won't make a difference, but if you are older or have shoulder, arm, breathing or wrist issues, this should work very, very well.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Smoke, if this works for you and others :hello2:

For me there is no ergonomic issue. :skullflag:

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ergonomic flaw of straight shafts is that the axis of support - from the arm cuff through the center of the handle - is above the axis of the shaft - the first axis meets the ground well in front of the coil to shaft connection.

Shortening the lower shaft helps with the imbalance of the coil’s eeight, but makes the above problem worse.

The result of this misalignment is that when the coil is swung, the inertia torques the shaft. You have to resist this through the handle. It also might be part of the problem with wobbly shafts. If that’s the case, the problem will likely get worse with use.

This was pointed out to me by a very expeienced designer of ergonomic tool shafts when I showed him my Nox 800. He pointed it out before he ever touched the machine.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Rick K. Yes, we know it has ergonic issues. They can be overcome. I'm kinda short, so shortening the lower shaft is no problem. I really wanted one for salt water beach use only, this might just do it. The control unit could be mounted higher with just 1 drill hole in the Tesoro S handle. No slop with those babies! I've been using them for years. We old toads just can't do what we used to be able to in the past, and any quick fix like this should help.

Sent out as a public service announcement!

NIBBLER

Apr 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I added a 8 ounce fishing weight under the arm rest.Helps balance.Drilled a hole in one end and there was already a hole in the other.Broke two drill bits but got it drilled.A couple of small zip ties and its all good.I prefer straight shaft units but the battery pack needs to be under the forearm.Makes it alot better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread