Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am fairly new to the GT but am getting quite comfortable with it now. I listen for the smooth HIGH pitched tones that are consistent from 2 directions. My question is this: does anyone else dig other tones besides the high tones as long as the tones meet the criteria above?? Obviously, the very low tones can be skipped since they are foil. Has anyone found that they have found some good stuff by digging lower tones than the very high silver/copper coin tone? Thanks for sharing your experience. Bryan

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am fairly new to the GT but am getting quite comfortable with it now. I listen for the smooth HIGH pitched tones that are consistent from 2 directions. My question is this: does anyone else dig other tones besides the high tones as long as the tones meet the criteria above?? Obviously, the very low tones can be skipped since they are foil. Has anyone found that they have found some good stuff by digging lower tones than the very high silver/copper coin tone? Thanks for sharing your experience. Bryan

I will dig even some foil tones while detecting sand since it is easy to dig. It is best to tell what tones to dig is to lay down a bunch or different targets including foil and white gold and yellow gold rings. You will notice the rings have about the same tone as the foil but the sound will be irregular in the way the sound starts out and finishes. This is not an exact science as the orientation of the target to the sweep and such can produce a different tone, but the way it ramps up and down is smooth.

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
comisoas said:

Bryan you should get yourself a meter for your Sov.
Here is a pic I grabbed from another forum. Its from a guy named Mike who lives in VA. Its the 180 meter scale of probable items on a sov meter. Sunray meters have this right on the front of them. Notice where some of the older coins fall.
Also sometimes you wont get a two way signal but it will still be a good target.
Make sure your not running your sens to high also.
HH
Neil

Attachments

• 180label.jpg
    180label.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 279

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are missing lots of goodies if you stick to the high tones. Gold hunters listen for the lower tones. Most gold and jewelry are in the mid range to low tones. Very small gold pieces can be in the foil range of tones.

Ditto on the meter. Although I try to learn sounds as opposed to the meter, you will find that the meter is a good tool if you don't let it make you lazy. If you start ignoring signals because the meter indicates that "could be junk", you are missing lots of good items. You will dig lots of junk to find the good stuff.

I have the 550 meter which came with the Elite. I calibrate it to 500 for a U.S. quarter and not 550. As a result small gold rings can be anywhere on the scale usually in the 300 to 400 range. Wedding bands are usually in the 400 to 450 range. Larger gold like class ring sized stuff is in the 480 range. The junk is all over the scale too so you really can't be sure. The only way I will ignore junk is when I hit a patch of the same type of pull tabs and they are giving an identical number every time. The likelihood that a gold item will give that exact same number at that location would be rare. The next location, I start digging it all again unless I hit another high concentration of the exact same type junk, then I again would only key in on that number associated with that one type of junk to ignore.

Small charms and other jewelry will be all over the tone scale and meter scale too.

The tones are just for an indication. You should still dig it all when you are in doubt. That is the secret of the gold hounds.

Good luck.

DaChief

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the good advice and information. Like I said, I have become comfortable with just listening for the high, smooth ramp up and down signals, and that is all that I would dig, inland that is. I will have to do the tests by putting various good items and junk in the ground and see how they sound. Thanks again for the great info.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I think all areas are different but here we have tons of square nails at all our really old sites. Jewelry other than cheap kid's rings are rare. Mostly I get indian cents and old meal tokens used by early lumberjacks as food money supplied by the camps. Here every decent target has sounded from 2 directions. I dig the one-way sounders until I get too tired and so far all have been trash with the GT.

But I could see in areas with lots of traffic (and a lot more jewelry) how this could change due to masking. In our area lumberjacks weren't known for having jewelry ;D They were known for pocket kives. I find one about every time I hunt a good site.

Like stated about, practice the sounds by making a good coin garden with lots of different targets some with masking trash. This garden will do more for you than anything else. I'm making a new coin garden that will have real cull old coins and trash I dug for masking effects.

Badger

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
I think all areas are different but here we have tons of square nails at all our really old sites. Jewelry other than cheap kid's rings are rare. Mostly I get indian cents and old meal tokens used by early lumberjacks as food money supplied by the camps. Here every decent target has sounded from 2 directions. I dig the one-way sounders until I get too tired and so far all have been trash with the GT.

But I could see in areas with lots of traffic (and a lot more jewelry) how this could change due to masking. In our area lumberjacks weren't known for having jewelry ;D They were known for pocket kives. I find one about every time I hunt a good site.

Like stated about, practice the sounds by making a good coin garden with lots of different targets some with masking trash. This garden will do more for you than anything else. I'm making a new coin garden that will have real cull old coins and trash I dug for masking effects.

Badger

Thanks Badger, I was stationed at KI Sawyer AFB near Marquette, MI back in the mid 80's. Are you in the U.P.?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
comisoas said:
Thanks Badger, I was stationed at KI Sawyer AFB near Marquette, MI back in the mid 80's. Are you in the U.P.?

Most of the time we're in the lower troll part of Michigan.

We actually have two residences.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread