Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
NeilinFR said:
Will your Sov knock out a zinc penny in disc or likewise can it be notched out?

Please tell which Sov you have and if it does/doesnt.

Thanks and HH,
Neil

I used the GT most of last summer but then made the mistake of selling it.

So, I can't check for you to make sure....BUT, I will say that the notch feature on the Sovereign GT is powerful. I used it sometimes when I was digging a pulltab every 6 inches. Only an occasional broken or bent tab could fool it.

The notch on the GT is very tight and narrow. I loved it.

I'm sure it could notch out those stinkin zincs. Maybe somebody else can tell for sure.

Badger

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the XS 2 Pro & Yes I can disc out most Zinc.
the newer ones with a healthy copper coating still sound off.

However that setting also notches out most Indianheads.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Sov GT will knock out a zinc penny. My GT is one of the most recent ones made by Minelab. If you have an older Sov that won't notch it out, maybe you should send it in for an upgrade if notching out zinc is important to you.

In the mean time, take care and have a happy holiday season and drink an egg nog for me, I won't be able to as I will be in the hospital again for new parts.

Sandman

rdi

Sep 5, 2007
Zephyrhills, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Infinium LS, Sovereign GT, Fisher cz6a, Garrett sea hunter,Garrett vlf/tr groundhog
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman...wish you all the luck and a speedy recovery...my wife & I have learned a lot from your posts and appreciate your knowledge....our prayers will be with you

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't used the notch on mine yet. Some larger gold hits in the same range as the zinc penny.

Good luck Sandman. You timed it right for the winter. See you back in action when the warm weather comes.

DaChief!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Sov GT, but i never use the notch. I dig the signals, I havn't been frustrated enough to use the notch for anything.

Good luck on the new parts Sandman, I've heard about the enhanc...... hhummm, aaaaa, ??? procedure, but never had the nerve to try. ;) ;D

Just joking, good luck my friend.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
On my ..GT.. I can notch out any thing and i mean any thing..........==Jim==

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman said:
My Sov GT will knock out a zinc penny. My GT is one of the most recent ones made by Minelab. If you have an older Sov that won't notch it out, maybe you should send it in for an upgrade if notching out zinc is important to you.

In the mean time, take care and have a happy holiday season and drink an egg nog for me, I won't be able to as I will be in the hospital again for new parts.

Sandman
...Sandman ...I wish you good luck i had a few new parts also i always hated to go in and get them......You are in our prayers.....................==Jim==

OP
OP
NeilinFR

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
roachnjim said:
On my ..GT.. I can notch out any thing and i mean any thing..........==Jim==

Some real interesting replies here, Thanks very much to everyone. From the replies on this forum it looks like Minelabs disc varies on their Sovs. I appreciate everyone taking the time to check and post their info.

Good luck to Sandman and his operation, and one of you posted something about gills????? lol....now that would be great for us water hunters ;D

HH
Neil

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't seen a post by Sandman for 5 days, I know you mention you had to go in the hospital, I sincerely hope all is going well with you, and we will see a new post soon..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions