Yellowstone River

M

Mike(Mont)

Not that I know of. Someone many, many years ago claimed to pan some gold near Pompey's Pillar, but I suspect that was a Red Herring. To catch fine gold, the Chinese stretched rope covered with burlap across the Yellowstone many miles upstream. There never was any moss in the river, but nowadays there is so much moss this would be impossible.

M

Mike(Mont)

Most people who pan for gold in the area go to the Clark's Fork somewhere near Sunlight Basin in northern Wyoming Beartooth mountains. Also the upper Boulder river has some gold. Watch out for Grizzly bears. That's where they relocate the problem bears.

newbob

Jan 29, 2007
richmond,va
I don't know about the river but do know I used to go up to Daily Lake outside of livingston With my uncle's and watch them pan for gold. As i remember they did fine some but couldn't tell you how much. I know they would go every weekend. Now that was 40 years ago. I don't live there any more but still have family there. Back then you had to watch for rattel snakes.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Is the camp run by John at Zortman still open? Went to a GPAA outing there
some years back. Would love to go again but can't the wife back as she is
homebound now. lastleg

Corben

Jul 9, 2008
Sacramento
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000. V4
Garrett ATPro
Hi Kd7
I grew up in Billings and as a young lad I heard about a guy who made a bet that he could find gold in the Yellowstone right there in Billings. He found only minute flakes but he did win the bet. Oh how I miss that river. Now I live near the American River right here in Sacramento. It's a great river but it isn't the same as the Yellowstone. Speaking of Billings, I metal detected Terry and Pioneer park all the time and always found silver. I attended and hunted Broadwater school where I dug Buffalo nickles all the time with a cheap detector. Course that was in the 70's ;D

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes fine gold, also by Miles City according to an old newspaper article we came across.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
One can also buy sand at Home Depo and run that for flour gold according to the local Billings prospectors club. It is what they do for demos.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread