My First Indian Head Penny

Mercury63

Oct 20, 2008
Hello all. I am new to the site and this is my first posting. I have been reading the postings on this site for the past few weeks, and they really have got me fired up. From 1972 to 1976, I TH'ed with my father. In those days it was not uncommon to find silver and I had the pleasure of digging an occasional Merc, and fairly regular Rosies, and Washington quarters. My teenage years led to college and the work world, and the days of Treasure Hunting were all but fond memories. Somehow, I recently got the bug, and after a near record-setting 32 years away from the hobby, I decided to re-enter the fray and Dad and I picked up a Garrett Ace 250. My comeback which began in late August has been less than spectacular, and in the first 8 times out I recovered 42 clad coins and 1 Wheatie Penny. Carefully reading the many helpful postings on this site, I became convinced that the only way to prevent myself from forever remaining the Clad King was to do a little research. I was able to locate a spot which appeared to be a hotbed of activity more than 100 years ago. Using my initial research, a simple map, and some help from a local fellow who I unexpectedly met in the field, I was able to pinpoint the site which looked like nothing more than the typical wooded area to the naked eye. After about one hour of unsuccessful hunting which included a few bottle caps, I remained confident that this old site had a winner for me. Digging down about four inches in one hole, I ran a scoop of dirt through my hand, and there I held a small disc, with a greenish tint to it. I immediately knew it was copper, but enough of the coin was covered with dirt, and combined with the darkness from the shade trees above, I simply could not ID the coin. Grabbing my college roommate, who I had coaxed to the hunt with me, we made our way to a shaft of light which cut through the trees a few yards ahead. There in the sun I could see a series of feathers which unmistakably identified the coin as an Indian Head Penny. An Indian Head I screamed out and my voice was quickly swallowed up in the vast woods. It was a find 36 years in the making, and I was glad I had the opportunity to share it with my best friend. Not only was it my first Indian Head, but it was my first coin to crack the 1900 barrier as well, the coin being dated 1876. Thanks for stopping to read about my modest, yet very thrilling find. I can't wait to find my first silver for the 21st century.
Regards to you all - Mercury63

Upvote 0

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1876 is a damn fine year for a first Indian, great going!

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find and looks like the hook has been set. We will be waiting to see more posts from you btw, welcome to TNet.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

S

seger98

Great story, glad you got back into it! Congratulations! :thumbsup:

Chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread