Sorry, did not specify what kind of treasure, so...

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
A few days ago, went out to pool to check out the chlorine tabs, and leaves, etc. No one has used it for at least 2 days.

Well, looked down at skimmer and tail feathers were sticking out, opened the lid and there were two BIG yellow eyes staring back at me. A dang-ole Great Horned Owl!!
I took a step back and up he came and perched on the rim of the skimmer. Whoa! Well, as you might imagine he was one wet and bedraggled bird.
Went and got wife and daughter to see. Owl just sat there, he was wore out.
He must have swooped down at something low over the water and crashed into the pool. He might have been in there a couple days. As his wings were wet he could not recover from the water and paddled around until he found some thing to grab. The pool skimmer opening. And there he sat until I happened to find him.
Tried to get him to eat some hamburger, he turned it down, so just let him sit and took a few pics. After about 2 hrs. he appeared to be a little better. And later he must have took off as he was gone and no where to be found.
I love raptors and saving this one was a real treasure to me.

dsc00295.jpg

Upvote 0

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a fantastic find... and I'm glad you were able to save it!!
Awesome! :thumbsup:

Bran <><

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol he sure looks wet an pissed...............I agree I've raised an owl from a chic to about that size I love the owls :thumbsup:

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember as a kid reading "Owls in the Family", great story. You brought back happy childhood memories. Not the one's I've blocked.
Carl

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool story,at least you saved him/her :notworthy:

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, and great save!! He was one lucky bird. (I liked the "you gave a hoot" comment. :hello2:)
He is a beauty. Perhaps, just perhaps, he will pay a return visit. A neighbor in my hometown in Oregon found 5 or 6 ducks
that couldn't fly, that had landed close to him on a southward migration. He took them home, tended them, and then
released them when the migration north flew over. The ducks obligingly flew away. But, the next fall, when the southward
migration was in full swing, those ducks flew back into our neighbor's yard, and spent the winter there. Then, up and away
when the ducks were flying north again. This continued for a number of years, the number of ducks got smaller, and finally
the ducks didn't come. But, when they were coming back, they made the front page of our local newspaper, and when the
southward migration was taking place, then everyone was watching for them.
I hope this happens with you and the owl you befriended.
Beautiful pictures of a beautiful - but wet - creature.

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Good job on the rescue, he doe's look shaking up a bit.

TommNJ

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The stories it could tell...... :headbang:

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Great story and good going. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
Great story and picture. You can't imagine how big they are till you see one up close.

I have a huge one when I was a kid that raided my trap line. Took me awhile to figure out what was doing. One morning at almost light and with new snow I seen the owl taking off with what was left of the muskrat. He got pretty good at dragging those rats out by the chain. he only got one every couple weeks so I didn't mind giving back a little.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread