SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Earlier this month (Nov.) I had to go home to Pennsylvania for a funeral, my great Uncle had passed away. After the funeral I stopped in to see my other Uncle in a small Southwestern part of the state. While visiting with my great Uncle I asked him if he would mind if I did a little detecting around his property and he said sure. The property is a farm where he and his brothers were born and grew up. The farm dates back to the mid 1800’s and his family had owned it all of this time. The house where my great Uncle and his brothers were born was boarded up and overgrown but still partially standing.
My uncle told me that when he was a kid, one of his brothers had a coin collection and they were playing like pirates and buried it near the house or the barn. They forgot about it and just a few years ago he and his cousin were talking about coins and he remembered it. This got me very excited so I started out detecting the back of the house near an old barbed wire fence. I was using the Garrett Ace 150 I had bought for my wife. I found all sorts of junk including Mason jar lids, nails, a horse shoe, barbed wire, pop tabs, bolts etc. I worked my way from the fence towards the house. My Uncle was very interested once I started finding metal pieces and parts and kept a close eye on my finds. A few hours went by and I had almost filled 3 gallon plastic bucket with junk. I stopped for lunch and my Uncle told me stories of his childhood growing up on the farm.
After my short break I went back to work. I already searched from the back of the house up one side and now was starting at the front. I searched the whole front yard and found a few Wheat cents, a 1932 Canada cent, some .22 bullets, copper wire, nails, screw type bottle caps and an old bicycle sprocket. I was starting to get tired of finding junk but that story of the buried coin collection kept me going. I worked my way down the side of the house. There was a huge old dead tree that had fallen over next to the house. I remember hearing that people often hid money near the base of trees so I checked all around it. I found nothing. I got to the back corner of the house and got a good signal stating something at around 6 inches. I started digging and hit a big flat piece of roofing slate. It was about 10 inches by 12 inches and lying flat at approximately 4 inches down. I dug it out and still got a signal where it was. I had to cut out some roots and dug down about another 4 inches and then I hit something! It sounded like tin. I dug the hole wider and then pried out the metal object. My Uncle was standing right on my heels looking over my shoulder and yelled “you found it!” I just about had a heart attack. It looked to me like a rusted junk tin can. I didn’t think I found anything but trash. What I had found was an old Half & Half tobacco tin. It obviously had something inside of it because it had some weight to it. I took it over to my car and carefully opened the hinged lid. Inside was a bunch of dirt and cotton and the missing coin collection.
Yahoo! it was my first cache! We carefully emptied the contents of the tin. It contained 16 coins: a 1900,1912 large copper penny (one has a man’s head on front the other a woman’s head and foreign writing) 1887 large copper penny with Victoria D:G: Britt: Reg: F.D and a woman’s head on the front, 1864 Napoleon III Empereur written on front with a man’s head and an Eagle on the back(back says DIX Centimes), 1870 Cinco centimes and Lion with Shield on front and Cinco gramos on back . I have no idea where these were from but they are pretty old. I do not know much about coins but I have seen these before U.S.: 1922, 1923 silver dollars, 1900, 1907, and two 1912 V nickels, 1901, 1905 silver dimes and 1892, 1902, 1907 Indian head pennies. The tobacco tin is in pretty bad condition but was found in a relatively dry area close to the foundation of the house.
Looking at those coins and remembering burying them with his brother brought some tears to my Uncle’s eyes. I told him I was happy to find them for him and he told me that they were now mine. He said with a big smile on his face “Finders, keepers!”

footnote: ( I added the 1932 Canada cent to the picture)

Attachments

• DSCN2429.jpg
    DSCN2429.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 9,216
  • DSCN2430.jpg
    DSCN2430.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 9,325
  • DSCN2447.jpg
    DSCN2447.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 9,337
  • DSCN2443.jpg
    DSCN2443.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 9,288
  • DSCN2429.jpg
    DSCN2429.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 9,205
  • DSCN2430.jpg
    DSCN2430.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 9,258
  • DSCN2448.jpg
    DSCN2448.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 9,174
  • DSCN2449.jpg
    DSCN2449.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 9,178
  • DSCN2450.jpg
    DSCN2450.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 9,213
Upvote 0

upstatedetector

Jul 21, 2009
Upstate, NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F5
Really cool story and finds. I buried a plastic treasure chest with a few dollars in quarters in the early 80's and have yet to find that haha.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a GREAT adventure! That had to be one of those day you'll never forget!

Congratulations!! Nana :)

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
That's awesome :icon_thumright:

Great story and play by play on the hunt and THE find :hello2:

hh,
Brian

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nearly brought tears 2 my eyes !! Great post ! BANNER WORTHY INDEED !!! MaineRelic.

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Super cool story....Thanks so much for sharing! What a neat bunch of coins....a some sweet childhood memories for your Uncle!
Nice job!! :icon_thumleft:

HH,
Moon

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is such a cool story. Just helping a gentleman remember his childhood is priceless. Well done sir.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool story and you brought back some great childhood memories. I did the same thing when I was a kid but I buried a bunch of junk and some clad coins. I would still love to dig it up .

wildwood

Oct 20, 2009
Great story and find! You should write something up to go with the coins and tin, so in the future people will know the story behind it all. :)

Ziggy-Grimm

Jan 19, 2009
Fairchance, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 + Garrett Pro-Pointer AP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool story and congrats on the banner!

I'm from Southwestern, PA...maybe this happened not far from me :icon_scratch:

What general area of SW PA if you don't mind me asking?

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
super story....i got goosebumps reading it. congrats on the banner and KUDOS for helping an old man remember "the good ole days"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread