19 C.W. African-American Soldiers from 55th Mass. Found and Excavated! NEW PICS!

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus
Folly’s forgotten sons of the Union

By Robert Bohrn

I love Folly Beach. Being born and raised on James Island, Folly Beach is a part of my soul that I have always cherished and loved. As an infant in the 1950s, I cut my teeth on the surf and sands of her beach. As a child I learned to swim, body surf, and collect shells on her shoreline. And as a teenager I began to walk in the footsteps of Union Army soldiers whose footprints were washed away by time and tide.

During my Fort Johnson High School years (1972-76), I began to relic hunt Folly Beach with a passion. Research and legwork led me to find many artifacts left by the Union Armies’ occupation during the Civil War.

Folly Beach became the staging area for the Union Army in 1863. Its proximity to Morris Island made it a perfect location for the placement of troops, as well as all of the equipment necessary for the capture of Charleston. It was at this point that Folly Island became a sea island city. With bakeries, lumberyards, newly made roads and large camps of Union soldiers, the island’s population swelled to well over 10,000 inhabitants. Each camp was the pride of their respective regiment. Soldiers from states such as New York, Massachusetts, Maine, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Indiana, and Illinois were present. Each of these soldiers, experiencing the southern climate for the first time, learned of its difficult and deadly nature. Many soldiers succumbed to diseases that occurred because of poor food quality, unsanitary conditions, and the island’s bad water supply.

Then in July and August of 1863, the 54th and 55th Massachusetts, the first African-American soldiers in the United States Army, arrived on Folly Island. Little did the soldiers know that their presence would change history.

The 55th Massachusetts was the sister regiment of the 54th. When the call went out in Massachusetts that an African-American Regiment was being raised, the response was so overwhelming that it became possible to raise two regiments. The 55th arrived on Folly in August of 1863. The troops’ first order of duty was to prepare a campsite on the island. Tents were raised, the jungle was cleared, and roads were made. The camp was to be one of the best on the island, complete with a hospital, a sutlers and an ordnance store. Wells and latrines were dug and stables for the horses were built. From this camp, soldiers would leave daily to perform arduous fatigue labor on Folly and Morris Islands. Building fortifications on Morris Island, these soldiers were under constant artillery fire from the Confederates. They sustained many casualties during their fatigue duty, but they would have to fight an even more deadly foe: disease.

In 1972, when I first began to search for relics on Folly, I was lucky to be granted permission to metal detect around some good spots on the island. I found bullets and buttons lost by the soldiers, and for years I would search this sea island for artifacts. On the beach, in the jungles, and in home owners’ yards, my search for the Union Armies’ leftovers would continue.

Then in 1987 my life would change forever. A new housing development was being built where I knew I had found Union relics before. As they began to clear a road through the palms, I was right there behind the bulldozers. Relics were to be found just about everywhere. Uniform buttons, bullets and other artifacts were being brought to light because of the bulldozing and land clearing.

Then, they started to bulldoze a small sand dune where I had never found artifacts before. But as they cleared the dune down about four feet, we began to find uniform buttons. The buttons were very corroded, which was unusual because normally the buttons were not corroded at all. As I was digging one of those buttons, my hunting partner found a human femur. We immediately stopped digging, left the site and went to my home to figure out what we had discovered. Our game plan was to return the next day and walk the site without metal detectors to see if we could see any more bones. If we found more, we were going to contact the University of South Carolina Archeology and Anthropology department.

The night before our return it rained all evening. This would uncover any more bones that the bulldozer had uncovered. As we arrived at the site we began to find small bones scattered about that the rain had exposed. Only small bones were found, so we assumed that just one soldier uncovered. I gathered up the bones in a small towel, walked about ten yards and started to dig a hole to place the bones in. As the shovel entered the sand it struck an object about a foot down. On the end of the shovel were three human vertebrae held together by a root. I looked into the hole and saw three Union buttons. Overwhelmed by what was being uncovered around me, I simply sat there in the sand. Relic hunting, in an instant, had become something sacred. I was actually touching a Union soldier from the Civil War.
I filled in the hole, placing the bones carefully back into it. I then contacted the University of South Carolina and told them about what I had discovered. We met at the site, and showed them where the remains were found.
For two weeks we excavated a total of 19 Union soldiers. Research would show that the soldiers were from the 55th Massachusetts. The discovery would be the first of its kind ever made. It was determined from military records that these soldiers died of disease while on Folly Beach. The soldiers were reburied on Memorial Day 1989, with full military honors in the Beaufort National Cemetery. Thousands attended this event, and relatives of the soldiers and the Governor of Massachusetts were in attendance.
And all of this happened because of a shovel full of sand from Folly Beach.
Now, twenty years after their reburial, we are on a mission to recognize these 19 soldiers who gave the last full measure of a soldier for their country. As a small gesture of thanks for their sacrifice, we are working with the State of South Carolina to have a State Historical Marker placed here on Folly Beach. A piece of cast aluminum to honor those of flesh and blood who fought, lived and died here on Folly Beach.
It is an honor and a privilege to recognize their sacrifice, and future generations will benefit from the memory of what they did during the Civil War here on Folly Beach

Attachments

• img076.jpg
    img076.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 4,302
  • img077.jpg
    img077.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 4,891
  • img078.jpg
    img078.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 4,422
Upvote 1
OP
OP
55th Massachusetts

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus
Re: 19 C.W. African American Soldiers from the 55th Massachusetts NEW PICS BUTTONS

Thank you for your heartfelt replies!
REB

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 19 C.W. African American Soldiers from the 55th Massachusetts NEW PICS BUTTONS

Great story and pics...Lest we forget

OP
OP
55th Massachusetts

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus
Re: 19 C.W. African-American Soldiers from the 55th Mass. Found and Excavated!!!!!!!

Thanks "The Patriot" ! I will NEVER forget!
REB

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 19 C.W. African-American Soldiers from the 55th Mass. Found and Excavated!!!!!!!

Awesome story and find Massachusetts, as a VietNam Vet with the 1/10th Cav I salute you for what you accomplished, God Rest Their Souls. Thank you, Charlie

P.S. I just don't understand why this find didn't make the banner >:(

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Amazing accomplishment.
May they Rest in Peace.
Best story I've read here :'(

OP
OP
55th Massachusetts

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus

Thanks Gentlemen!
It was my honor to find them.
REB

OP
OP
55th Massachusetts

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus

This may be a little late, but a heartfelt THANK YOU to all Veterans!

Here is a pic of my Dad, who was first Lt. in the Army Air Corps during WWII. He was a bombardier/navigator in the 345th Bomb Group "Air Apaches" in the Southwest Pacific.

He flew 47 combat missions, and navigated the first American plane to land in the Philippines during the Battle of Leyte Gulf during the invasion by General MacArthur in 1944.
He flew B-25 Mitchell low level bombers.

God Rest His Soul.
REB

Attachments

• R #5.jpg
    R #5.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 3,078

Yard Digger

Dec 20, 2009
Manila, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 with Bounty Hunter Headphones and TX-2002 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A great and amazing story. Thanks for posting it.
Great pics too, especially the one of your Dad. I know
he must have been proud of you and I can tell that
you were proud of him.

A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours,
Yard Digger

BURLIVES

Apr 14, 2009
Northeastern Pa.
Detector(s) used
CZ 6a

What a great post and story. Thank You!

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for sharing !!! Great story :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
55th Massachusetts

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus

Thanks for the comments. My Dad and Mom both lived long enough to see them excavated and reburied in the Beaufort National Cemetery.

Now he and my mother are both buried not a hundred yards from the Massachusetts 19.
REB

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Awesome story, one of the best I've read here! Thank you Robert for sharing!

Kent

Gaijun1

Oct 11, 2010
Morgantown Wv

Got To Say That Is Just Amaseing That You Are Out There Doing Something For Them :hello2:

OP
OP
55th Massachusetts

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus

Thank you all for the compliments!

It is an honor that I was lucky enough to be a part of the recognition of these American Heroes!
REB

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick

Mr. Robert Bohrn,

It is a great and memorable experience seeing the photos and once again hearing the story of this fascinating part of history. Folly Beach was also one of my first experiences in searching for relics, and brings back many fond memories of the palmettos and beautiful sand beaches. It has been nearly 30 years since I dug my first minie bullets on the beach there, where the storm cuts had exposed the hard clay base and century old tree stumps.

I remember well the large section of thick woods where the New York and Mass. camps lay hidden among the jungle covered dunes. My close friend and relic hunting buddy that lived on Folly Beach, notified me when the woods were being cleared for development, and often related stories of the fantastic finds. When the graves were found, he even mailed me one of the newspaper articles, which I still have in my collection. The most beautiful and flawless Ohio breastplate I've ever seen, was the one my friend found after a large live oak was pushed over. I still remember the thrill of seeing and holding that rare relic in my hand. To this day, I've also never had a finer fish dinner than the one served at Bushy's old restaurant by the Folly River. With a bit of sadness, I reminisce about the days as a young teenager, when visions of Civil War relics filled my constant thoughts and dreams

When the movie Glory came to the theater, I actually went to see it at the James Island Cinema and thought how interesting and ironic it was to watch the movie there, while sitting on the same historic ground near where the actual events took place. Of course, knowing the history and geography of the Sea Islands, brought to my attention many errors in the movie, not the least of which was depiction of Col. Shaw and the 54th Mass. charging the wrong direction down the beach of Morris Island to attack Fort Wagner.

It has been many years ago, but I also remember visiting your fine establishment, the Moultrie Tavern, and enjoyed meeting you and seeing the interesting displays that you had. I recall the excellent collection of War of 1812 buttons and relics that you had found in a camp on Sul. Is., along with many other items from Colonial times through the Civil War.

Thank you for keeping history alive and preserving the memory of those in the past that gave so much for our country.

Sincerely,

CC Hunter

OP
OP
55th Massachusetts

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus

Thanks CC!

I started digging in those woods in 1974. And That friend of yours showed me the Ohio plate....WOW!!

There was some great stuff found in there..even when the dozer took off 3-4 feet off the top, I still would dig relics......It showed me how deep the relics sink in that sugar sand!

Enclosed is a pic of me in those woods in 1983.

It was a special spot I will never forget, and niether will you!
Thanks,
Robert

Attachments

• img188.jpg
    img188.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 2,592

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

From one Th'er to another I think all of us hunters are more than thankful we are they way we are, that is we are not grave robbers. We relic the past and when a find like this is made all of us who truly love what we do will always report this kind of find and not just take what is there an leave. There are those whole are out there leaving holes and digging where they are not suppose to dig giving the rest of us a bad name. For your kind are scavengers an not true treasure hunters. God will Bless those of us who do the right thing an do not wrong others. God Bless you and all that made this historical Burial for those individuals happen... :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
55th Massachusetts

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus

Thanks Freddie!

You hit the nail on the head!

Here is another pic from the reburial in the Beaufort National Cemetery!

Massachusetts Gov. Dukakis did the eulogy, Wynton Marsellis played taps, and about 4,000 people were in attendance, including Morgan Freeman, and cast from the movie "Glory."

Attachments

• pic299005.jpg
    pic299005.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 2,504
  • pic299005.jpg
    pic299005.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 2,493
OP
OP
55th Massachusetts

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus
Re: 19 C.W. African-American Soldiers from the 55th Mass. Found and Excavated!+PICS!

I just found some more pics of the soldiers being excavated. Enjoy!
REB

Attachments

• img081.jpg
    img081.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 2,253
  • img079.jpg
    img079.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 2,223
  • img080.jpg
    img080.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 2,208

Top Member Reactions