George Washington Inaugural Button

2country

Apr 23, 2006
SE Virginia
I bought my first detector last November , started detecting regularly in January (after deer season) . Well , in Febuary I was hunting a late 1700 , early 1800 homesite when I found what apppeared to be a large button . It was slightly bent , so not knowing what it was , I bent it back so it was straight again . I'm glad it didn't break . After some research , I found out that it was a GW inaugural button . It appears to be an original . It is the linked state design . It is very thin . I was told that the 1889 commemorative was fairly thick . Also the lettering on mine is different than that of the commemorative . I had someone post a picture of it for me a while back on the test forum , but it's not a good picture . I will try to post a better picture in the near future . Any info on it would be appreciated . Thanks .

Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i cant wait to see it! around here,they were doing an archaeological dig at an old plantation and found a washington inaugural button as well. its a great find!

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum, 2country. If it is a GW button, it's a find of a lifetime. I hope you can post pictures of it soon. The experts on here would be able to tell you about it.

Where do you live?

OP
OP

2country

Apr 23, 2006
SE Virginia
Southeastern Virginia . I posted a picture on the test forum on 4/23 , but it's not a good one . I will try again soon . I currently do not have a computer at home . I'm using my computer at work now , but don't tell anyone !

OP
OP

2country

Apr 23, 2006
SE Virginia
Finally , here's the picture .

Attachments

• 4DMA13999445-0003.jpg
    4DMA13999445-0003.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 693

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Congratulations, 2country! Looks like an authentic #WI 4A "Linked States" Washington Inaugural, all right. (If so, traces of the design can probably be seen on the back.) Nice patina, too.

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Button......The GW's are one of the finds most detectorists have on there finds list.....When it comes to digging old Relics just be careful when digging . Some hunters hit great relics with there shovel , and can take away some of the value because of scratches or dents.....Great Find!!!

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice find. Picture turned out great too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread