Best find of 2010: Fine Mississippi Pinetree point

creekwalker

Dec 9, 2010
Iuka, Ms
Best find of 2010: Fine Mississippi Pinetree point

This fine artifact was found in Goat Creek on April 23, 2010. The creek system is located in Alcorn county Mississippi, which is in the far Northeast portion of the state. It measures 3" long x 1 5/8" wide at the base and is extremely thin and symmetrical. It exhibits superior flaking on both faces and is made from a very colorful high-grade flint. The base is ground smooth and the edges are highly serrated. This early archaic knife dates back to 7000-8000 b.p. This is a museum grade G10+ killer. I like to hold it in my hand and admire how well made it is. I can only surmise that whoever made it, was a skilled craftsman indeed. I have found many nice pieces in my years of artifact hunting, but this is probably my favorite. Definitely my best find of 2010! Enjoy, thanks and Happy Hunting! P.S.( I will tell the story of how it was found and give more in-depth details in a future post) : :o :o

Attachments

• DSCF0012.JPG
    DSCF0012.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 908
Upvote 0

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Best find of 2010: Fine Mississippi Pinetree point

Beautiful piece!! :icon_thumright: That photo would make a great avatar.

Welcome to T-Net Creekwalker.

OP
OP
creekwalker

creekwalker

Dec 9, 2010
Iuka, Ms

My brother and I had walked a particular section of Goat Creek a couple of times and found 4 broken points, 2 scrapers, 1 grinding stone and a pocketful of flint flakes, so we knew that it was a place that had the potential to produce something good. On this particular day, April 23, 2010, we decided to walk downstream further than we had ever been, quite an arduous task. We walked for aways and he found a really nice 2 1/2" long Buck Creek point. I told myself that I would never be able to top that for the day. We came to a place where a tributary stream flowed into the main body. My brother headed up the tributary, as he was anxious and the upstream looked very promising. Something drew me to the other side, where the mouth discharged, though. Can't explain it. My brother was trying to hurry me up the tributary with him, but I hesitated and went opposite side. I found the broken tip of an arrowhead straight-off. As I was examining the broke tip in my fingers, A reddish flash of color in the sand caught my eye, and I stopped to pick it up. I was not prepared for what I held in my hand. I could not believe it! Not only a whole point, but a damn nice one! It was sheer luck that I decided to walk over to the sand pile, opposite shore. There was no gravel, no reason to gaze upon that spot. That's the beauty folks. The sheer, almost destiny like qualities of the hunt and consequently finding of the elusive prey.........Lost treasure, in so many forms. Lost for so many years, brought to the light of day by a destined person........That's living, my friends!

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Great story and one Beautiful Find!
Congrats & thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cw, welcome to TNet. That is one killer find. CONGRATS :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

You might consider posting in Today's finds as that is a banner point.

habs

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other

Beautiful, the best I've seen, love the colors, and a great story.

crazifeather

Dec 31, 2010

hey folks creekwalker is my brother. i was with him when he found this museum grade relic. so awesome it even had me shaking. together we've picked up hundreds and hundreds of artifacts and this is one of the finest we've seen yet.i found two outstanding grade10 relics(one over 4 inches) and he still had the better day.you will find it is very difficult to find a relic this rare and in such perfect condition. creekwalking has been good to us and i hope we can keep going for a long time to come. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread