Nice Tennesse River Horsecreek McCorkle point

creekwalker

Dec 9, 2010
Iuka, Ms
This cute little point was found in extremely adverse hunting conditions on April 4, 2003. Provenance is the Snake Creek site along the Tennessee River, Hardin county. This artifact measures 1 1/2" long x 1" wide at the tangs. It is made from a very rare type of chert called Horsecreek or Pickwick Tri-color chert in this area. It is only found in Tishomingo co, ms, Hardin co, Tn, and McNairy co, TN. It is distinguished by the three colors that make up the color matrix, usually red jasper, yellow jasper and black, which is a rare colored flint for the area. It can have different color variants, although you will always have at least three colors in a fairly distinct pattern. This point type dates back to the early archaic age (7000-8000) B.P. and some say possibly even transitional Paleo times. At any rate, it is a colorful and cute little artifact. I would be happy to find one like this any hunting trip I take! The day I found this, it was snowing and bitterly cold. I floated my canoe down Snake Creek to where it flowed into the Tennessee River. I was on top of the bluff and peering over the edge. The river was up real high and white-capping. I lowered myself down onto a ledge just above the water level. I really don't know why. I was inches from being sucked down into the raging waters. I had seen a few gravels and what I thought to be flint lithic debitage. As I peered into an eroded slot in the bank, I could makeout the shape of what I thought was a whole point, although it was covered in a slimy muck. Sure enough, when I picked it up, it was indeed whole. I stuck it in my pocket and got the heck out of there (which is an entirely different story!). When I got home and cleaned it, A very pretty and colorful point was revealed. I was very suprised and very pleased! It is also one of my favorites because of what I had to go through to get it, not to mention the sheer luck of choosing the right place and time to go! That's the beauty of hunting treasure! The real treasure is in the hunt, itself! Enjoy, thanks and Happy Hunting!! :hello2: :hello2:

Attachments

• DSCF0015.JPG
    DSCF0015.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 475
  • DSCF0017.JPG
    DSCF0017.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 568
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread