Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    us
    Oct 2007
    Pascagoula Ms.
    minelab exp.
    22 times

Re: Blowhole Buttons Only.....

My best guess is French made.I only say that because some of the things found at the site & in my area French period (1719-1722)‎. Maybe i'm wrong if crusader finds them a lot -but the English & spanish had different ways of casting buttons in this time....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ebay 246.jpg 
Views:	660 
Size:	440.8 KB 
ID:	490963  

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

May 2009
    Pennsylvania
    67 times
    Relic Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Don in SJ
    I personally think the vast majority of blowhole (vent back) buttons we find are more like early to mid 1700s, yes they first appeared past 1675 or so but based on the ones I have found over the years, most of my sites at the earliest would be 1730 or so, with most being Rev War era and later. Not to say one could have had the buttons/clothing for many years before settling here, but in general I think they are of that era.

I went through my button boxes, where I did not have that type seperated and this is all I could find, some with just the back shell, I know I have others but heavens knows what nock or cranny I have them stored at.

This photo is from a very isolated site that shows a good representation of what was found along with the blowhole button, I estimate the site to have been occupied only for a short time (less than a generation) and most likely from 1730 till perhaps 1760s. I believe this sawmill was abandoned about then and bigger one built on a nearby stream, thus closing this one down.

Don
    Thank you for the presentation, Don. You do have a lot of these buttons and should be proud to say that you have hunted the earliest sites that SJ can offer. We found three Blowhole buttons last year as a group. I believe Kyle got two from the productive Colonial site in March.

Since I have learned more about them, I could dig these buttons all day long.

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by RELICDUDE07
    My best guess is French made.I only say that because some of the things found at the site & in my area French period (1719-1722)‎. Maybe i'm wrong if crusader finds them a lot -but the English & spanish had different ways of casting buttons in this time....
    Thank you for sharing the Blowhole buttons that you excavated in West Florida.

Kirk
    Keep the passion high!

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    744 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

I was not familiar with these buttons. Thanks to CC for bringing these to my attention.

Being an ex-A/C repairman and plumber, I can verify that you cannot solder a pipe without an exit for the expanding gases.
    If you dont vent the pipe somewhere, it will blow the solder out of the seam.
    Thus the need for blow holes.

I know most shanks are soldered but are modern 2 piece buttons pressed together?
    Is it done after the shank is soldered?

us
    Apr 2008
    MA
    Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab CTX3030, Teknetics T2SE, Blisstool
    45 times
    Metal Detecting

I have a fourth one somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blowholebuttons.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	610857

us
    Jul 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Fisher F75, Fisher 1266, Fisher 1270, Whites TDI, Garrett AT Gold
    755 times
    Banner Finds (2)

Here are some of mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blow Hole buttons.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	611222  

ca
    May 2008
    845 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I just got one yesterday, there were two in the same hole. I already gave one away. I don't think I've found a complete one before, but haven't checked over all my junk buttons.

Anyway I found this thread searching for info on it, it is in good condition, and was included in my last post 1816 6 pence. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...ml#post2777019

Name:	find12-20d.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	632462

Name:	find12-20e.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	632463

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsors