Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 65
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Lost CSN keepsakes / CW Housewife Lost, Found, Lost, and Found Again Today

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #46
    us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    24,061
    877 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

    Re: CW Housewife Lost, Found, Lost, and Found Again Today

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Searcher


    Just can't believe those crazy prices for buttons over there, but I wouldn't be complaining either if I had them get them sold BigC and buy a new computer. Great story look forward to seeing you on the Banner

    SS
    Thanks Colin.

  2. #47
    us
    Nov 2008
    Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
    12,715
    76 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

    Re: CW Housewife Lost, Found, Lost, and Found Again Today

    My Banner vote is in! Amazing

  3. #48
    Charter Member
    us
    MINELAB XS-2 Pro ....... XTERRA 305 ....... EXPLORER SE PRO

    Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    46,684
    5769 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: CW Housewife Lost, Found, Lost, and Found Again Today

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodland Detectors
    My Banner vote is in! Amazing
    This is a 2006 Find see his first Post

  4. #49

    Re: CW Housewife Lost, Found, Lost, and Found Again Today

    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodland Detectors
    My Banner vote is in! Amazing
    This is a 2006 Find see his first Post
    Yeah, but it was never really shown back in 2006 Jeff. He lost it and no one ever saw the relics. It was just found.
    Come on, without a doubt this post easily deserves BANNER!
    -MM-
    *Oldest coin-1775 Spanish 1 real *Oldest U.S. silver-1833 Capped Bust Half Dime *Best coin - 1945 GOLD 2 1/2 peso *Best Civil War finds:*NC officers belt buckle *CSN Confederate Navy Officer button

  5. #50
    us
    Oct 2009
    North Carolina
    White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
    5,777
    1304 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)

    Re: CW Housewife Lost, Found, Lost, and Found Again Today

    Quote Originally Posted by ModernMiner
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodland Detectors
    My Banner vote is in! Amazing
    This is a 2006 Find see his first Post
    Yeah, but it was never really shown back in 2006 Jeff. He lost it and no one ever saw the relics. It was just found.
    Come on, without a doubt this post easily deserves BANNER!
    -MM-
    I agree 100%! Actually it is a 'recent' find since he just received it.
    His 'finds' deserve BANNER recognition, and shouldn't be left out because of a technicality. BCH spends hours upon hours helping people to ID their items in the What Is It forum, which really has nothing to do with honoring his finds, but there is something to be said about a person who relentlessly helps others, not to mention being a long time faithful member of TNET.
    Personally. I think BANNER recognition should be on TOTAL VOTES by established members, and after receiving X amount of votes, the item(s) would make BANNER. Of course, this is my opinion, and we all know what opinions are like.
    Breezie
    Every time I watch Gone With The Wind, I think we're gonna win this time!

  6. #51

    Re: CW Housewife Lost, Found, Lost, and Found Again Today

    Quote Originally Posted by Breezie
    Quote Originally Posted by ModernMiner
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodland Detectors
    My Banner vote is in! Amazing
    This is a 2006 Find see his first Post
    Yeah, but it was never really shown back in 2006 Jeff. He lost it and no one ever saw the relics. It was just found.
    Come on, without a doubt this post easily deserves BANNER!
    -MM-
    I agree 100%! Actually it is a 'recent' find since he just received it.
    His 'finds' deserve BANNER recognition, and shouldn't be left out because of a technicality. BCH spends hours upon hours helping people to ID their items in the What Is It forum, which really has nothing to do with honoring his finds, but there is something to be said about a person who relentlessly helps others, not to mention being a long time faithful member of TNET.
    Personally. I think BANNER recognition should be on TOTAL VOTES by established members, and after receiving X amount of votes, the item(s) would make BANNER. Of course, this is my opinion, and we all know what opinions are like.
    Breezie
    Well said Breezie.
    You too have been a fantastic help here on Tnet IDing mystery items for people. I'm really surprised you Sambo pistol never made it up top either. It's not like we see those dug every day.
    -MM-
    *Oldest coin-1775 Spanish 1 real *Oldest U.S. silver-1833 Capped Bust Half Dime *Best coin - 1945 GOLD 2 1/2 peso *Best Civil War finds:*NC officers belt buckle *CSN Confederate Navy Officer button

  7. #52
    us
    Oct 2009
    North Carolina
    White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
    5,777
    1304 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)

    Re: CW Housewife Lost, Found, Lost, and Found Again Today

    Quote Originally Posted by ModernMiner
    Quote Originally Posted by Breezie
    Quote Originally Posted by ModernMiner
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodland Detectors
    My Banner vote is in! Amazing
    This is a 2006 Find see his first Post
    Yeah, but it was never really shown back in 2006 Jeff. He lost it and no one ever saw the relics. It was just found.
    Come on, without a doubt this post easily deserves BANNER!
    -MM-
    I agree 100%! Actually it is a 'recent' find since he just received it.
    His 'finds' deserve BANNER recognition, and shouldn't be left out because of a technicality. BCH spends hours upon hours helping people to ID their items in the What Is It forum, which really has nothing to do with honoring his finds, but there is something to be said about a person who relentlessly helps others, not to mention being a long time faithful member of TNET.
    Personally. I think BANNER recognition should be on TOTAL VOTES by established members, and after receiving X amount of votes, the item(s) would make BANNER. Of course, this is my opinion, and we all know what opinions are like.
    Breezie
    Well said Breezie.
    You too have been a fantastic help here on Tnet IDing mystery items for people. I'm really surprised you Sambo pistol never made it up top either. It's not like we see those dug every day.
    -MM-
    Thanks MM for the kind words and support. Hopefully those who post on the WII forum don't think I've run away; I'll be back after things settle down at home/shop. As far as SAMBO is concerned, I'm clueless too on that one, but I think the problem was I found it only a short time after my Trade Bracelet made the banner. At any rate, I don't want to take any thunder away from BCH finds . . .it would be nice for them to be on top for everyone to see. . ..after all, it was moved to BEST FINDS. Whether they make the top or not BCH will know it was his BEST finds (so far), and many others feel the same way.
    Breezie
    Every time I watch Gone With The Wind, I think we're gonna win this time!

  8. #53
    us
    Jan 2005
    Panhandle of Florida
    T2 SE,Sovereign Elite,two Excal II s and a cibola
    6,483
    520 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)

    Re: CW Housewife Lost, Found, Lost, and Found Again Today

    The stories that little purse has to tell. Great save and thanks for sharing!!
    God and country.

  9. #54
    us
    Jan 2005
    Panhandle of Florida
    T2 SE,Sovereign Elite,two Excal II s and a cibola
    6,483
    520 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)

    Re: Lost CSN keepsakes

    Glad they turned up safe and sound! I had a large coin collection from my childhood that has disappeared from my parrents house... I found a cach of coins when I was 13 and they are all gone. Pretty sure the ex brother in law took them ... I would love for him to get hit by a bus.
    God and country.

  10. #55
    us
    Nov 2010
    California
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    2,483
    612 times

    Re: CW Housewife Lost, Found, Lost, and Found Again Today

    Wonderful saga! And a special historical find with buttons, beloved's hair and intact old purse.

    Just as another poster advised, at first I thought you should sell some buttons and buy a new computer to replace your expiring computer --- but actually there's probably nothing wrong with your computer --- you just need to open it up and take out all the old coins and other goodies you've been hiding in there for years! Then she'll fire up every time! lol Andi

  11. #56
    ad
    Mar 2009
    WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
    5,158
    570 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (3)

    Re: CW Housewife Lost, Found, Lost, and Found Again Today

    nice buttons
      No matter how long the storm, the sun always shines again between the clouds ...... 

  12. #57
    ad
    Mar 2009
    WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
    5,158
    570 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (3)

    Re: Lost CSN keepsakes

    hi found and took pictures ... I saw it in another post .
      No matter how long the storm, the sun always shines again between the clouds ...... 

  13. #58
    Educator

    Feb 2006
    Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
    White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
    3,765
    2734 times
    Relic Hunting

    Re: CW Housewife Lost, Found, Lost, and Found Again Today

    BigCypressHunter, I just found your PM a few minutes ago, because I haven't logged on to TN since about Nov. 17th. I was getting ready to set up at the big Richmond civil war show, at it for 3 days, and then "recuperating" from it.

    About your questions:
    The purse appears to be from the 2nd half of the 1800s. Could be close to 1850, and could be close to 1900.

    It may have been used as a civil war soldier's "housewife" ...but the soldier would carry spare buttons for his uniform, which would be all the same kind of button, not an assortment of State Seal, Artillery, and US Navy buttons. I think it is a postwar collection owned by a Confederate civil war veteran, or perhaps one of his immediate descendants, such as a daughter. For example, a CW veteran's daughter could have lived long enough to have passed away in recent years, with the purse-&-buttons being discarded at that time by an un-interested heir of the daughter.

    All I can say about the human hair saved in the purse it that I notice it shows a mix of blond-brown-ish and gray hairs, so it is probably from a person in his/her 50s or 60s. DNA-testing would at least tell you whether it is from a male or a female.

    BCH, I realize you already know some of the info which follows. I'm just including it here because I'm always mindful that other readers of these posts do not already know all the info.

    According to their backmarks, the Virginia State Seal buttons date from before the civil war. The "rmdc" (raised-mark [in a] depressed-channel)Scovills & Co. backmark dates from the very-early 1830s to 1850. The "rmdc" Canfield backmark dates from 1834 to the late 1850s. I can be a bit more specific than just giving you the backmark buttons' date-ranges. Your VA with the "raised sword" (Albert button-book VA7) is from the 1840s, and your "sword down" VA (Albert book VA13) is from the 1850s. That being said, we relic-diggers frequently find Virginia buttons with those same pre-war "rmdc" backmarks at batllefields and wartime military camsites, so we know with certainty that many Virginia Confederate soldiers wore those prewar-manufactured buttons on their uniforms during the war.

    The CS Navy button made by Firmin has been reproduced several times since 1865, but your button's exact backmark shows it is an 1861-to-1865 Original one ...not a postwar "restrike," nor a Reproduction. I estimate its current market-value to be at least $1500.

    Your copper-faced iron-backed "Block-letter A" button is a Confederate Artillery button, manufactured in the Confederacy during the war. It is the most-common EXCAVATED version of Confederate Artillry button, but it is very rare in non-excavated condition. Because sheet-brass was scarce in the wartime South from mid-1862 to the end of the war in 1865, your Southern-manufactured Artillery button's face was made from sheet-copper, with a sheet-iron back. This particular type has also been reproduced, but the IRON-backed Reproductions do not have the two circles of dots on the back. Being in "pristine" non-excavated condition, your ironbacked Confederate Artillery button's current market-value is approximately $700-850.

    Congratulations!
    surf likes this.

  14. #59
    us
    Dec 2008
    South Korea
    Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
    1,268
    14 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: CW Housewife Lost, Found, Lost, and Found Again Today

    Thanks for submitting this fantastic story......of a fantastic find.
    One of a kind, for sure. Whose hair, I'm wondering. If only that little purse could talk.
    The hair might date back after the Civil War......who knows those kinds of things.
    I'm thinking.....could you get someone to run a DNA test on the hair? If, for some unknown reason, one of
    the person's kin has had their DNA tested, maybe it would show up......worth a try, maybe.
    Keep us posted on what the final apprasal on the buttons/purse is, please. And, final price, if you sell them.
    Happy THing.....
    Can't find it if you're watching tv at home, your machine isn't on, and the head of your detector is pointed up!!

  15. #60

    Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, and the Tesoro Sand Shark for sniping underwater on cleaned bedrock.
    3,328
    1517 times
    Metal detecting for gold and Surface Suction Sluicing, AKA Triple-S mining.

    Re: CW Housewife Lost, Found, Lost, and Found Again Today

    Extra cool story and find!

    All the best,

    Lanny
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

 

 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

cs117a, confederate button value

,
csn officers
,

today in pictures lost found

Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.3