Post Rev War British officers 15th button

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This button was dug in a very interesting context/location. A few years back I was hunting a large Confederate CW camp along the NC coast that produced quite a number of CW buttons over the years. On one hunt I dug this post Rev War British button and was left scratching my head wondering how it ended up in a Confederate camp. No other British military artifacts have been recovered on this site to my knowledge. Maybe some Confederate soldier was wearing it?? This is one of the most interesting of my finds.
:icon_scratch:

Attachments

• XV front.jpg
    XV front.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 117
  • XV back.jpg
    XV back.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 150
Upvote 1

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I found the same one here. Will have to double check.

OP
OP
SC Keith

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think I found the same one here. Will have to double check.

If you find it I would like to see a pic IP. I think I also saw a pewter one on Silverstiens site in the Rev section.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are two likely possibilities. The button was reused from another jacket. After all the south wasn't exactly lush with cold cash during the Civil War and did reuse material. The second possibility is that it came from one of the British observers Queen Victoria sent over here to monitor the war. Observers as it were.

This button was probably 1820-40 period so it was something most likely brought over by an immigrant. By the Civil War, the 2 piece hollow British button was the rule, just like our eagle buttons.

OP
OP
SC Keith

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There are two likely possibilities. The button was reused from another jacket. After all the south wasn't exactly lush with cold cash during the Civil War and did reuse material. The second possibility is that it came from one of the British observers Queen Victoria sent over here to monitor the war. Observers as it were.

This button was probably 1820-40 period so it was something most likely brought over by an immigrant. By the Civil War, the 2 piece hollow British button was the rule, just like our eagle buttons.

You made a couple of valid points and it easily could explain the context of the button! Thanks Smokeythecat!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you find it I would like to see a pic IP. I think I also saw a pewter one on Silverstiens site in the Rev section.

Here it is.

Attachments

• numb4.jpg
    numb4.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a beauty IP! Thanks for posting it. That regiment was well traveled.

I was lucky to get it. We weren't having much for results so decided to move on, and I dug it on the way up the field heading back to the car.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread