Hunting an old site realy pays off - PHOTOS NOW ATTACHED

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
I'v been using metal detectors for almost 30 years and my 1st site to hunt has agin become my best.
An old 2 room log cabin once stood at this site about 200 yards from my front door and I have found nails keys 1 I H penny and other common farm stuff.
But the last few days hunting the site has made me? ;D !
When I pulled a US box plate from the ground I was amazed and then a clover heel plate which I think would be from the 2nd brigade Mass ?
If you think it is let me know or if you know more about heel plates let me know please .
Well that was not all 2 days later I found a CSA I button and the next day I dug another both are in great shape and all there. Made by? P. Tait & Co. after that I even came up with a Dutch coin 1863 now that was odd.
These finds might be normal in the east but I'm in central Texas about 50 miles east of Austin.
The owner of the cabin was part of a group of outlaw in the area known as the Notch Cutters who were Confederat soldiers that? came home to find no other way to make ends meet
However late 1 night he and 2 friends met there fate on the front porch of the old cabin which ended with a shootout with the law and some good people who wanted them gone .
And from that I can"t count the number of shells of all cal. I'v dug.

Upvote 0

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MXT X2, Exploder, and Classic III
Re: Hunting an old site realy pays off

That sounds like an incredible detecting spot!! I wish I could find a location like that here in San Antonio! Good luck with your hunting there!

Rich

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky

That's got to be unreal to hunt a spot where you know of the events that happened there and THEN to possible find an artifact that's mentioned in the recorded event!!!!! WOW :o

I dream of places like this....thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
red

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500

Well since early this morning when I first wrote to the forum I've been out hunting.

Now I don't intend to make anyone turn green, and this is really the Gods honest truth, I have found more today!

An Union Breast Plate. The Eagle front is all there and looks great. Also, the lead is still on the back, but the pin is gone and it has a slight bend.

All these finds were made by just clearing out a little brush and getting to a area I haven't been able to hunt.

Although now my biggest dilemma is whether this old boy was in both armies or he just souvenirs.

If I can borrow a digital camera from my friend, I'll post the pics in a few days.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

red said:
came up with a Dutch coin 1863 now that was odd.

sounds like a good site! Considering the Spanish were thru that whole area way before that date - doesn't surprise me. Ya hunt long enough in this hobby and ya find that some really unusual and strange finds can come from the ground. Good luck!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Great finds Red. People hunt for many, many years and not find what you found and just think of how much you're saving in travel expenses(HA HA!).HH and by the way welcome to the forum.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

A man travels the world in search of what he needs and when he returns home there it is.

OP
OP
red

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500

Thank Yall for the welcome.

And I am still looking fot that Mexican gold hord but so far only a 1827 Mexican Real is all I've found.

Although I have recently gotten the ok to hunt at some springs that have been used since the Spanish I'm just waiting for the owner to get time to go with me.

I might need help halling out all that GOLD ::) haha !

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Great find for sure! Got any pics?

Shutterbug

Nov 6, 2004

WOW! Talk about a site with history! Looking forward to seeing the pictures! Great finds!

OP
OP
red

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500

Well, staying up late last night paid off.

I went through all my dad's land records back to 1837. Our family has owned parts of our ranch since 1870s.

However, the land where the Cabin was built was owned by a man that was in the 4th Texas Infantry whose unit fought in many of the major battles. But, I could only find one where the 4th Infantry fought against the 2nd Mass, the Battle of Antietam, Sept. 17,1862. The 2nd only lost 12 men and 1 just might have been left on the field of battle without any shoes.

Now if what I have found and cross-referenced is all correct, then this just might be where our Confederate soldier got the copper heal plate with the clover design.

I hope to do more research at the county courthouse soon. There's another story in that alone. Our county was formed from the combining of land grants from five other counties. Our time period dates back before the formation of our county. I'll have to travel to two different counties to be able to continue the search in order to determine if the lane was ever a grant for service in the Civil War.

The search continues... stay tuned for more of the mystery.

Thanks guys! I'm having a lot of fun and hope my story is interesting to y'all.

Rick

treasurebum1

Jan 12, 2005
flora ms.
Detector(s) used
whites dfx garrett gti2500 whites vision

;DGREAT FINDS PICS WOULD BE VERY NICE I LOVE CIVIL WAR STUFF

C

czman

Welcome to the forum Red and HH...Don

TOWcritter

Great finds. I'm working on a site myself that dates to the late 1700's. It's fun to discover history right under your nose. I never would have thought about any of this stuff if I didn't get my metal detector. Now I have the bug bad! Good luck.

OP
OP
red

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500

Thats right once you make 1 good find the hunt is on and your hooked.

And I will have pic's by the end of Sunday to post.

Oh yah and nothing good was found today but then there is tomorrow to hunt agin.

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Red, I'm a newbie to the forum but a true newbie to the hobbie. My first find was done in about ten minutes just before I had to pick up my daughter at school. I just had to go out and try to find something. There is a field behind our house that the kids play kickball, wiffleball etc. I knew there had to be something near home plate. After digging out two shards of foil I scored two pennies. One canadian from 75 and one good ole Abe from 70. That was Wednesday and once again the ground is frozen solid. My main goal in that field is finding my nieghbor's ring that was lost while our families were playing kickball. She doesn't know I am searching for it. I would love to find it and get it cleaned before giving it back. l was so jacked about finding those coins! I couldn't wait until my wife got home to tell her. The look on her face when I showed my new found wealth convinced me that I must be nuts. Wait till I tell her about my girlfriend........just kidding.

My MD, a Whites Classic ID, was purchased from her mom after her dad died. He used it a few times on vacation on the Outer Banks NC but didn't have too much luck. I think when he got it his knees were starting to give out and shortly there after he put it in the closet. No plans for me to do that though. My 10 year old daughter can't wait to go out and find stuff. I can't wait for her to join me. She claimed it was too cold on Wednesday to go out to look for "just pennies". She said "dad, if you want some pennies, I have some in my back pack". I opted to help with homework. I didn't check the weather for Sunday but that is my next day off. Say a prayer for those of us in the frigid northeast.

Rich in Texas, my grandparents used to live in San Antonio in the 70s. They had a condo on a fairway of the Turtle Creek Country Club. There is a tree along the out of bounds line on one of the holes that has a large branch that goes horizontal about 4 feet above the ground. It is at least a foot thick. If you want to find about $20 in clad look just below that. We all used to hang upside down on it!! Watch out for those fire ants!!!

By the way, best find in San Antonio was a foul ball going into the stadium at Saint Mary's university!!

Happy hunting!!

OP
OP
red

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500

Hay them first few Penney's are great finds and the most often. When someone drops a few coins they tend to pick up the shiny silver and not see the copper laying there also.

And I wish you all the luck on the ring. I have been hunting for one my mom lost 30 so years ago and know where see was standing when it flew off her finger but I just wish I knew where it landed. I cant count the bottel caps and pull tabs I've dug while hunting it.

Take a couple of gold rings while at home and use you detector on them so you will know just what sound your wanting to find.

I am a little to tone def for hunting by sound so I use a Fisher CZ 70 pro and a Garrett GTAX 500 both have dig. readout.

The Garrett doesn't give me as many bad signals as the Fisher but the Fisher will search deeper and has a much better processor for finding gold.

I had someone ask me what was the best detector to get and all I could tell the is it's the one you like the best.

Parks are great to hunt in for lots of coins and that ever so present pocket full of pull tabs.Keep all the trash you dig so when you go back to the same site you don't dig it a 2nd time. Do this mainly when hunting old farm houses.

Good hunting tomorrow.

OP
OP
red

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
PHOTOS PHOTOS PHOTOS

Well, as promised, I have photos.

I'm posting a second reply with other photos, indirectly unrelated. Regardless, I think y'all will enjoy the next too.l

Attachments

• Box plate(smaller).jpg
    Box plate(smaller).jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 3,294
  • brest plate(smaller).jpg
    brest plate(smaller).jpg
    4 KB · Views: 3,214
  • CSA buttons(smaller).jpg
    CSA buttons(smaller).jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 3,193
  • heal plate clover(smaller).jpg
    heal plate clover(smaller).jpg