coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a collection of about 35 old books stretching from 1859 to 1961. These are a few of my best books. (I have only been collecting books for 3 or 4 years.) IMG_4481.jpg IMG_4482.jpg IMG_4484.jpg IMG_4488.jpg IMG_4490.jpg IMG_4491.jpg IMG_4492.jpg IMG_4493.jpg IMG_4494.jpg IMG_4495.jpg Any idea of value?

Upvote 0

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
this should probably be listed under Collectibles
According to what I've seen on 'the Antiques Roadshow', most books really are not worth that much.
The higher the publication rate or more copies in existence - the less desired that book by collectors.
Bibles are a perfect example. I got a 1800's Bible, illustrated with colored pictures at a auction sale,
but it's not really worth more than I paid for it.
However, if it is a rare copy that collectors want - then it can be worth 100's of dollars. I'd check into
your oldest books on a rare book site and see if you have something rare. Good luck!

OP
OP
coinsareawesome

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard that the Tarzan of the Apes is an American first edition. I really like the davy crockett. It is written in first person. I paid about a dollar for the oldest book.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have heard that the Tarzan of the Apes is an American first edition. I really like the davy crockett. It is written in first person. I paid about a dollar for the oldest book.

well that's cool - let me see if i can find out the ballpark for some of these books. $1 for oldest is a good buy! :)

OP
OP
coinsareawesome

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah. Got it at some guy's book sale. Probably didn't know what he had. The whole book is in German. Funny thing, me and my dad stopped there after a library book sale that didn't have anything really old!

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of those look to me to be books that would sell for a couple of bucks. The Tarzan book and the Davey Crockett book might surprise me, but the value in the Tarzan book would probably be heavily tied into the dust jacket, which seems to be missing. The last book would be my best bet for some real value. Checking ended auctions at eBay or doing a search through Alibris may give you a idea of value. Either way, if you are getting them for a buck a book, you ain't getting hurt, and you might hit a home run sooner or later.

Couple of things, old in books does not necessarily mean anything in value. A Stephen King first edition from 10-20 years ago is often a fairly desirable item and often has some real value. As a general rule, I would say that non-fiction books tend to have a better shot at value than fiction. The more obscure the subject matter the better, but finding the buyer willing to pay is another matter.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well here's some high flying figures based on "First Edition" copies. If it was 'exactly' what is being sold on this site, it would be worth almost 5 grand. I can't imagine that's the same book
but if it is - you hit the book lotto! :)
Tarzan of the Apes (1st Edition) Cost: $4,800
Edgar Rice Burroughs - Tarzan of the Apes - First Edition | Bauman Rare Books

Life of David Crockett Price: (1st Edition) US$ 250.00
David Crockett
Published by John E. Potter, 1865
Life of David Crockett by David Crockett: John E. Potter Decorative Cloth, First Edition - Jeff Bergman Books ABAA/ILAB

OP
OP
coinsareawesome

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lettering doesn't seem to be the same, but the rest is exactly the same. I was given that book.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread