1723 Georgius Dei Gratia Rex

HighGrass

Aug 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this coin a few months back on an old farm land which is now a public park in NJ. The area was quiet then "POW" a 86 reading on my Garrett AT Pro 6 to 8 inches down. Needless to say I had no idea what I dug. Because of the hole in the coin I thought it was a pendant from a necklace. I had to clean the coin in my tumbler to get it in the current condition. After some internet research I was able to identify the coin.:icon_thumleft:

20140820_164841.jpg
Code:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1041333._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Upvote 1
OP
OP
H

HighGrass

Aug 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cringed after realizing that I tumbled a vintage coin. I normally only tumble clad coins. I exhausted every cleaning method I knew before I put the coin in the tumbler, at the time I had no idea what it was. If the coin had a little definition that would have helped with identifying it, I would have avoided tumbling it.:sadsmiley:

hammer0419

Aug 20, 2014
OC NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is very cool. Glad it didn't damage in tumbler

joncooper1986

Jul 31, 2014
Westhampton, MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 4.0 9" coil, 11" coil, WS4 w/ Detecting Doodads headphones, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find old coins like this from time to time and am always looking for the best way to clean them without being abrasive. I first rise off with a mild bar soap and water, sometimes using a sonic toothbrush to get all the dirt out of the crevices.
If it were a very rare coin, I would probably skip right to the next step. Then I soak in a small bowl of heated olive oil...the longer the better. Then I either rub with qtip after qtip until the qtips come off no darker than the oil.
Cant say I even own a tumbler but stay away from anything abrasive for anything unknown. Nice find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread