"Hunted Out" Park Finds

M

minelabex1000

"Hunted Out" Park Finds

Here are a few of the finds I've made in a couple of extremely "hunted out" parks.

These are tiny parks in Michigan where entire clubs have regularly hunted for the past 20+ years. Even pull tabs are getting hard to find!

There are several gold and silver rings and large silver coins not in these pictures as my kids wanted them. I also found several Civil War era relics not shown here.

May this pump somebody up? ;D

Attachments

• coins.jpg
    coins.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 681
Upvote 1
OP
OP
M

minelabex1000

OP
OP
M

minelabex1000

Re: "Hunted Out" Park Finds

stoney56 said:
Found On Bulova ;D

I hadn't thought of that...could be LOL

Heck, whatever happened to the Bulova company? I still remember all those accutron tuning-fork TV commercials. Wanted one of those big time when I was a kid.

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy

It really appears that fob is a word and not an acronym. wish you had never asked the question..now I have to find it out ...... :D

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy

Minelabex1000----
best I could do.
fob2
noun

1. A chain attached to a watch.
2. A decorative attachment to a key ring or watch chain.
3. historical
A small watch pocket in a waistcoat or trouser waistband, for holding a fob watch.
Etymology: 17c: perhaps related to German dialect fuppe pocket.

OP
OP
M

minelabex1000

It was DigginD who got this whole "fob" thing going in the first place. He's probably sitting out there laughing at us? ;D

OP
OP
M

minelabex1000

alwayslookin said:
I think DigginD is a female...so I KNOW she is out there laughing at us? ;D ;D

NOW that answers a whole slew of questions, doesn't it? Here us guys were talking about fobs with no problems and up steps a woman and asks "what does FOB stand for?" Before this happened, none of us were worried about that, were we? I mean a fob is a fob and that's that.

Woman just have this way bout them. A guy's doing something he knows has to be done and up steps a woman and asks "Why?"

"Why"...what in the heck has that got ta do with anything!? Where would we be as a country if our forefathers had asked "Why?"

We do things cause....well....cause! ...that's why.

I propose a proclamation:
From henceforth, all FOBS are FOBS, and it don't matter none what FOB stands for! Let it be written, and let it be done.

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy

It could not have been said better !!! I won't even try to look any thing else up...except research ;D

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

minelabex1000 said:
Here are a few of the finds I've made in a couple of extremely "hunted out" parks. This is about 1/10 of what I found during visits to these sites. These are tiny parks in Michigan where entire clubs have regularly hunted for the past 20+ years. Even pull tabs are getting hard to find!

There are several gold and silver rings and large silver coins not in these pictures as my kids wanted them. I also found several Civil War era relics not shown here.

May this pump somebody up? ;D

WOW !!!
THAT'S INCREDIBLE !!!

ALMOST UNBELIEVABLE.........

OP
OP
M

minelabex1000

WOW !!!
? ? ?THAT'S INCREDIBLE !!!
? ? ? ? ? ?..........................................
? ? ? ? ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ALMOST UNBELIEVABLE.........

Yes, I know. If I didn't do it myself I probably wouldn't believe it.

There are some things though I haven't shared about these parks:

1) They had been subjected to filling. In some places the coins were 9 to 12 inches deep. Actually, that's how deep most of the Indians were.

2) I located the exact position of the original gazebo.

3) Both parks were very heavily used 1870's-present (carnivals, etc.).

4) I hunt very very slowly following a string line.

5) hunt all the "least likely places" first (adjoining lands, lots across the street, outer fringes, steep hills, under bush's, etc.)

6) I hunt in all-metal mode and dig all interesting sounding targets.

If you think about how most people hunt parks, this suddenly becomes much more believeable.

How many simply go to the center of the park, hunt by all the biggest trees, hit the swings & slide, and they're gone? Everybody does that. Do the unexpected and you'll find more.

Of Supreme importance BUY A QUALITY DETECTOR!? If your detector won't sound off on a quarter buried 10 inches deep you're probably missing 40% to 90% of the stuff.

I'm a big fan of Minelab. They're not perfect, but they are treasure killers all the way!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Somehow Minelabex1000 I find that very believeable about what you are finding. I'm getting a project started pretty soon that I think you'll find interesting once I get the polls and pics. done. The results will be posted here on the forum

OP
OP
M

minelabex1000

Well, to be precise, these are items I did find, not that I am finding (it's winter up here now) :'(

Someone sent a private message to me recently and said this posting did "pump them up" for THing. I reminded that kind person that it's not easy. And, on top of all the work there is a certain amount of luck, whatever that is.

I found all these items by research. These parks didn't come looking for me. I passed a lot of other parks to get to these two.

Next, I spent a lot of time in those parks. No, I didn't wheel in, flip out my detector, and knock off a dozen Barbers while sipping a pop. That's the stuff they print in.........well, anyway, it takes patience.

Now, I don't want to beat this to death but I also don't want newbees to get discouraged if they don't have great luck the first time out.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

minelabex1000 said:
Well, to be precise, these are items I did find, not that I am finding (it's winter up here now)? :'(

Someone sent a private message to me recently and said this posting did "pump them up" for THing. I reminded that kind person that it's not easy. And, on top of all the work there is a certain amount of luck, whatever that is.

I found all these items by research. These parks didn't come looking for me. I passed a lot of other parks to get to these two.

Next, I spent a lot of time in those parks. No, I didn't wheel in, flip out my detector, and knock off a dozen Barbers while sipping a pop. That's the stuff they print in.........well, anyway, it takes patience.

Now, I don't want to beat this to death but I also don't want newbees to get discouraged if they don't have great luck the first time out.

You know, this sounds great and I was not trying to offend anyone of course.
I have an extensive collection also, but it has come to me over a great deal of time, patience, and hard work.
Sometimes it seems that people make it sound like, all you really have to do is find an old place and
walk around for a few hours and you will have tons of stuff...
And those of us who have been doing this for years know its never that easy.
I feel bad for those people who go out and spend $1000 on a good machine, only to discover that
they are not finding anything of interest....
then they get mad at those of us who show all this stuff to them, that helped them decide to go out and
buy that thing to begin with.
Good luck, and best to you.
Richard

OP
OP
M

minelabex1000

You know, this sounds great and I was not trying to offend anyone of course.

No offence taken. I didn't even know what you were referring to until I looked back to see your message. I guess I didn't take it that way.

Anyway, you are right on. This sure isn't easy. That's one thing I have against some of those metal detector "field tests." You know, the guy goes out for an hour to a nearby park and finds 2 silver quarters, 25 Indian Head pennies, 1 Large Cent, a 18K Ring encrusted with flawless diamonds, etc. Who do they think they're kidding?? My guess is they have a member of the team plant this stuff before they get there! Now, the trick is this, we need to beat them to the plant spot before they get there to do the "field test." hahaha

I look at some of those "Treasure" articles the same way I do "big time wrestling." Much of it is meant to stimulate the the market and appease those who have something to gain. But heck, it's all GREAT fun. Just don't take it too seriously? ;)

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

From best finds to what's a FOB to a question of the authenticity of wrestling? ARGGHH! I can't keep up! I'm going out beeping!

Oh yeah, I have a 1939 Funk & Wagnall's College Standard.

Attachments

• fobdefined.jpg.jpg
    fobdefined.jpg.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,312

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions