Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug my first two half cents in 1989. I dug my last one earlier this year. Yesterday I decided to try and round up all my half cents for a group shot. This meant pulling them from the various site specific display cases and boxes since I keep everything segregated by site. I had to use color coded stickers to temporarily mark them so I could return them to the proper cases. I was able to find 23, plus I know of one other that I couldn't find for a total of 24 half cents from 12 different sites. Some are in pretty nice shape and others are hardly identifiable. Here they are:
Half Cents.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 48

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for taking the time to photo them for us! A great collection of history there!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice collection of Half Cents Steve. In 30 years, I have 1, but again, I'm not in as good as an area of the country as you are for the coveted Half Cent. Thanks for taking the time to post them.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for taking the time to photo them for us! A great collection of history there!
Thanks. I have had good luck with Half Cents and Spanish Silver. But incredibly, I have only ever found four seated silvers :dontknow:
Very nice collection of Half Cents Steve. In 30 years, I have 1, but again, I'm not in as good as an area of the country as you are for the coveted Half Cent. Thanks for taking the time to post them.
Thanks Ron. When I got my first metal detector I was living in Dallas, Texas. I came home to visit my parents over Christmas and my goal was to find a Large Cent. I lent the detector to my brother and he went around town for a few hours and darn if he didn't come back with a Large Cent. It took me a couple more years before I got one. Half Cents weren't even on my radar, and when I dug the first one I was befuddled for a minute until I rubbed the dirt off the back and saw Half Cent. It was an 1803 in great condition.

cmthunder

Mar 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome collection and accomplishment Steve

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats really awesome something to be very proud of takes alot of hard work to find that many and Congrats. Thanks for sharing......Tommy

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That’s 12 cents the hard way!

Oh yeah...and :notworthy:

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome collection and accomplishment Steve
Thank you! The half cent is definitely a cool coin to find.
Thats really awesome something to be very proud of takes alot of hard work to find that many and Congrats. Thanks for sharing......Tommy
Thanks Tommy! I had to dig a lot of holes just to get 24 of them :laughing7:
That’s 12 cents the hard way!

Oh yeah...and :notworthy:
Dave, now that you dug your first large cent, guess what's next?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice collection of old coppers! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha I just located the missing half cent :headbang: It was in a frame of miscellaneous relics. It was a random find in Alexandria, VA on a Civil War site. 1809 Classic Head. It missed the group shot, but at least I found it in time to add to this post.
1809 F.jpg 1809 B.jpg

jazmyn

Jun 27, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 1, but again, I'm not in as good as an auto clicker area of the country as you are for the coveted Half Cent. Thanks for taking the time to post them.

Last edited:

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Imagine how many rotten beer cans had to die before the collection was complete (;

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice collection of old coppers! :occasion14:
Thanks Professor!
Great collection. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Powder!
Each one brought a smile to your face, right?
Any old copper brings a smile to my face. How long the smile lasts depends :laughing7:
I have 1, but again, I'm not in as good as an auto clicker area of the country as you are for the coveted Half Cent. Thanks for taking the time to post them.
They seem to give some people, even in the right areas, trouble. I have good luck with half cents, but trimes and half dimes give me a lot of trouble - I only have one of each :dontknow:

Imagine how many rotten beer cans had to die before the collection was complete (;
Not many rotten beer cans on the sites that these came from thank God.
And hopefully the collection is not complete yet :thumbsup:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Great pic! Makes me drool. Funny, my first copper was a half cent. Now many years and well over 100 coppers later, I still have only one half cent.

I really wish I had displayed my finds segregated by site like you did. My records are good enough to go back and place all the coppers/silvers and significant relics in their proper sites but all the countless buttons, buckles, etc., I would not be able to do. It's too bad because in the end, it's those countless "insignificant" relics that really help paint the picture of a particular site.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great collection of old coppers. Congrats
Thanks Thad. Still hoping for one with an identifiable date in the 1700s.

Thanks Casper!

Steve wow very nice collection of cents. I'm impressed you to save cents after 30 year.
nice movements to share anyone steve. Thank you
Thanks Peter!

That's very impressive.
Thanks Smokey!

Great pic! Makes me drool. Funny, my first copper was a half cent. Now many years and well over 100 coppers later, I still have only one half cent.

I really wish I had displayed my finds segregated by site like you did. My records are good enough to go back and place all the coppers/silvers and significant relics in their proper sites but all the countless buttons, buckles, etc., I would not be able to do. It's too bad because in the end, it's those countless "insignificant" relics that really help paint the picture of a particular site.
Thanks Jeff. That's crazy that your first copper was a half cent and you haven't found another since. You are definitely due to go on a half cent run. An you are right about the way all the coins and relics from a given site paint the picture of the site. You can tell a lot about how long the site was occupied, what types of activity took place, whether family members may have served in the military, etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread