kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A miner's Stash

I hunt predominatly gold rush era sites in California,and as metal detecting goes one never knows what is going to pop out.Last year I was hunting a site I had detected several times before and not found anything of great significance.This particular day I got a pretty strong signal about six or seven inches deep and when I pulled it out of the hole I first thought it to be a cigar container,but upon closer inspection it appeared to be two brass objects stuck together,and when shaken something inside it rattled.It is not uncommon to find brass shotgun shells(later date than gold rush) but that was what these appeared to be?I wanted to open it in the feild but I didnt want to damage it,so I waited to get it home took some pics and wriggled it open.I expected maybe some Indian beads or matches to fall out but was pleasantly surprised when 139 grains(weight)of gold fell out!!!It probably wasnt Gold rush era but some poor miner lost his take!The stories this cherished find could tell!!

Attachments

• container.jpg
    container.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 4,716
  • end1.jpg
    end1.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 4,707
  • end2.jpg
    end2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 4,700
  • open.jpg
    open.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 4,725
Upvote 0

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Florida east coast.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: A miner's Stash

Very cool story.Tank you.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a very ,very cool find. Like you said ,the stories it could tell.

faaus

Greenie
Apr 23, 2006

That is such a wonderful find, because it scratches BOTH my itches, prospecting and detecting!

Thanks for the great post!

Happy Hunting,
faaus

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab

:o Now that's the way things should be done! Makes me want to get my gold pans out and get my feet wet. HH

Desertfox

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

I am GREEN with envy. I'm a little short right now, could you pass the gold. LOL Great find, looks like you might have found the motherlode.

H

HAVE DETECTOR WILL TRAVEL

WOW. Too cool, to think how that got there, hidden, dropped in a desperate struggle, got too sauced up...and heck if thats out there than like you said you never know what you"ll find next. GOOD LUCK, and may the gods of fortune shine upon you.

BigNuggets

Nov 2, 2007
Toccoa,GA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Classic 2

Thanks Man I thought i would never see it again. I've be looking for that for.... ever
It was my grandmothers, the only thing she managed to salvage after my grandfather gambled the farm away in a game of tX Hold EM LOL

Nice n Luckeee Dig Its............

Grimnar

Mar 22, 2006
Vic

Way to go Kuger, that's a mighty nice find.

The container certainly does look like to shoty shells slotted together.
Any idea on the markings?

Very excellent colour you got there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread