Old time hunter - first time poster

*Dig-Dug*

Aug 13, 2008
Herndon, VA - Kill Devil Hills, NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Bandito II
I recently discovered this site and I am definately hooked. It's been a few years since I've done any serious hunting but hopefully I will be able to get out again soon. I don't know if this thread is appropriate but the title best fits my wish to share some of the finds I've made over the years. (looking for suggestions here)

I had the unique opporitunity to hunt some amazing sites mid to late 90' in and around the Fredericksburg, VA area. Places like Bragg Hill, Mossneck Plantation (Stonewall Jacksons winter HQ's after the battle of Fredericksburg 1862), Harris Farm, Gordon Road, Catharpin RD, Salem Church, Chancellorsville, White Oak White House, The Walnut Grove, North and South of the Burg such as Garrisonville, Aquia, Route one Stage coach road and several stops, Centerville, Dumfries, Fairfax, Richmond, etc.. Most of my stuff is in Secure storage for the time being so I do not have pics of everything. That said, I do have enough photos to share in several dozen posts if everyone is agreeable/interested. Please note the samples attached and advise which threads would be most appropriate for posting future old finds.

Now for the pictures...
#1 various plates, bullets, cape pins found at the sites noted above (closeups later)
#2 Small sample of the 400+ Bullet varients used during the war
#3 Puppy Paw buckle with general service, infantry, calvary, and artillary buttons
#4 Riflemans sling buckle with Bat wings, Cannon Percussion fuses (fired), and knap sack hooks
#5 Camp art Carved bullet watch fob and chain, marine corps button, navy button (recovered from union camps in Stafford, VA)
#6 Camp art Artillary fuse cut down for a ring or pendant and marked with the Third corps symbol (Stafford, VA)
#7 Buttons, Buttons, Buttons (close ups later)

Folks - I hope you enjoy.

Thanks - Joe

Attachments

• Copy of DSCN3433.JPG
    Copy of DSCN3433.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 2,684
  • Copy of DSCN0121.JPG
    Copy of DSCN0121.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 2,676
  • DSCN0250.JPG
    DSCN0250.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 2,649
  • DSCN0251.JPG
    DSCN0251.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 2,646
  • DSCN0252.JPG
    DSCN0252.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 2,632
  • DSCN2990.JPG
    DSCN2990.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 2,625
  • DSCN2557.JPG
    DSCN2557.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 2,641
Upvote 0

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
OBX Slumlord said:
Well I don't know about a museum but I do have lots of stuff. 90% of it is in storage and what I am showing off now is the bulk of the good stuff. Some day I will dig the rest out, photograph it and share it as well. When I do that I will also shoot the stuff my buddy found while his family owned the Moss Neck Plantation. For those of you who don't know, Moss Neck was owned by the Corbin Family during the Civil War and was used by Stonewall Jackson as his winter headquarters following the battle of Fredericksburg in December 1862. I had the privledge to hunt the property for only a few months prior to it's sale but WOW! what a time we had. He had a few years on me in those Confederate Camps and his finds as simply amazing.
That's was one golden opportunity. There's an old civil war POW camp close to where I'm working but I understand it wasn't preserved and is covered by a garbage dump now. What a shame.

allen1

Oct 2, 2008
You have one fine collection of relics :) its very great. :thumbsup:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
allen

freeastro

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some *fantastic* pieces!!!
Thanks for sharing... and welcome to T-Net! :)

Bran <><

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, what a collection. Welcome!!!

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi OBX, welcome here to TN. I recently discovered this site and I am definitely hooked. We all are!
Great and wonderful finds you have made, very nice collection.
Say, what are you doing then in Frankfurt (I was stationed there at the 97th General Hospital)?

Helo

Jun 18, 2007
S.La.
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Whites M6 ,Whites Eagle II,Fisher 1270, Tesoro Conq. Umax w/manual G/B ,Discovery 3300
Outstanding Display , The ring looks like it was made from a fuse base plug . HH LaDigger

homer007

Jan 11, 2008
BAIBRIDGE GA
Detector(s) used
WHITE PI PRO, TIGER SHARK,TESORO DELEON/XLT® E-Series Metal Detector. Whites PI Pro Detector
ive always tried to warn people, but they dont listen.. go back go back. you will never be the same. if your married and she likes to MD then you will be fine but if she hates md then you will hardly see her. in some cases thats ok ;D hehe... welcome :tard:

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
homer007 said:
ive always tried to warn people, but they dont listen.. go back go back. you will never be the same. if your married and she likes to MD then you will be fine but if she hates md then you will hardly see her. in some cases thats ok ;D hehe... welcome :tard:
I only know one guy who has everything going for him, his lovely (and I mean that) young wife just detects with him. For the rest of us, its first house work, then yard work, then clean up the garage and after that the shed, then wash the car, inside also of course. Then after all that done on a Saturday morning the most of us can disappear for a few hours searching... Most wives hate MD, but coming home with some gold rings and necklaces you don't hear her anymore, she is then sitting in front of the Mirror!

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome and WOW I am speechless. That is a great collection. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread