Warbirds in a Barn

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW....thanks for sharing those pics. I absolutely love old aircraft, heck I even like the newer ones. I was in Naval aviation myself but during the Vietnam era. This is a pic of a friend of mine in front of a restored Mosquito located at the Oshkosh, Wisconsin EAA museum. We spent a day there. It's planes like these and the gutsy guys that flew them that won the war.

Attachments

• mosquito.JPG
    mosquito.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 509

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn't the mosquito called the last of the wooden airplanes? I know they were fast and light for their size and much feared by the Germans during the war. Is the owner of the planes planning to restore any of them or are they just there? Monty

OP
OP
Kiwijohn

Kiwijohn

Dec 10, 2008
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Excalibur 1000 Garrett Pro Pointer
packerbacker..
Thats a great photo. From the glazed nose, that one is a bomber or a reconnaisance model.
All carried 2 crew and you can just see the front edge of the navigators seat in the first cockpit
photo. He sat much higher than the pilot and would crawl forward into the nose for bombing.

Monty
DeHavilland had a lot of experience making wooden aircraft prior to the Mosquito. As I mentioned
earlier it had lots of advantages due to shortages of alloy during the war. Another advantage was
that they could be built by civilians with sub assemblies being made by joinery factories, piano
makers and even undertakers, who made coffins. The main spar was spruce and the rest of the wing
was wood also. The flight control surfaces were alloy apart from the flaps which were wood.
DeHavilland also made a jet fighter/trainer, the DH115 Vampire. Maybe this was the last wooden
aircraft? It had a wooden cockpit using the same laminate construction as the Mosquito.
In fact there is the remains of one of these in the barn also! It was a twin boom aircraft and I'm not
sure what the booms were made of.
The owner of the planes has no plans to restore them. As you so aptly put it...............
"They are just there"
They are known by the warbird community worldwide and I'm sure future generations will restore
them.

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Kiwijohn said:
packerbacker..
Thats a great photo. From the glazed nose, that one is a bomber or a reconnaisance model.
All carried 2 crew and you can just see the front edge of the navigators seat in the first cockpit
photo. He sat much higher than the pilot and would crawl forward into the nose for bombing.

Monty
DeHavilland had a lot of experience making wooden aircraft prior to the Mosquito. As I mentioned
earlier it had lots of advantages due to shortages of alloy during the war. Another advantage was
that they could be built by civilians with sub assemblies being made by joinery factories, piano
makers and even undertakers, who made coffins. The main spar was spruce and the rest of the wing
was wood also. The flight control surfaces were alloy apart from the flaps which were wood.
DeHavilland also made a jet fighter/trainer, the DH115 Vampire. Maybe this was the last wooden
aircraft? It had a wooden cockpit using the same laminate construction as the Mosquito.
In fact there is the remains of one of these in the barn also! It was a twin boom aircraft and I'm not
sure what the booms were made of.
The owner of the planes has no plans to restore them. As you so aptly put it...............
"They are just there"
They are known by the warbird community worldwide and I'm sure future generations will restore
them.
After parting with a few million i would guess.

Sasnz

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread