Any bird nest experts out there?

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
I noticed this nest this year after the leaves fell. It wasn't there last year. I was assuming it was the Gold Finch, I see them in and out of this tree all the time. I was going to get some pictures and ask when the guys said did I see the Baltimore Oriole nest? Now that would make sense since a pair appeared jut last Spring and hung around all season. Any ideas Folks? Maybe we are all off base?

P.S. What a beautiful day Sunday was, bummer we got snow AGAIN yesterday. Welcome to New England! :D

Attachments

• spring day kota 002.JPG
    spring day kota 002.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 278
  • spring day kota 004.JPG
    spring day kota 004.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 275
  • spring day kota 005.JPG
    spring day kota 005.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 296
  • spring day kota 018.JPG
    spring day kota 018.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 293

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oriole nest I am certain, I have a guide book on nests, I will look for it later, but a hanging nest like that is of the Oriole, neat find. :thumbsup:

Don

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked my Audubon Society book on Bird Nest's/Eggs and it is an Oriole nest for sure, they build hanging nests; nests suspended from Elms, Maples, Willows and Apple trees are the preference. A Goldfinch builds a standard nest in a fork of a tree for support.

Here is the description: Attached by the rim to a drooping branch; intricately woven deep pouch of plant fibers (milkweed, Indian hemp), hair, yarn, string, grapevine bark, Spanish moss in the South; lined with hair, wool, fine grasses, cottony materials; opening at the top, rarely at the side......

Don

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
That's great Don! Thank you so much for the effort and description. I did notice it looked like a silky outer material. It's a Maple the nest hangs from. What really makes me happy is that means there is a good chance they will be back this Spring. I love their 5:30 am wake up call, every morning they sing their song letting us know the sun is up and the day is started. Can't wait for them to return. :icon_sunny:

Muddy Feet

Feb 13, 2009
MN
Definitely an Oriole nest. We have lots of them around here and watch them come and go feeding the young ones around June. The males are very pretty birds.

S

seger98

First nest I've seen like that, thanks for posting the photos!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen a few too, it's totally awesome the way they weave grass and other stuff to build their nests.

:wink: RR

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Thanks so much Folks! Last year I reported to the local Audubon society that I spotted a pair for their Oriole watch program. Hopefully this year they come back and I can report an ACTIVE nest. I'm happy to have a pair to enjoy!

Here is what the Audubon says about the status of the Oriole.........

Baltimore Orioles are found throughout the Commonwealth during the spring and summer. They frequent a wide variety of habitats including riparian forests, woodlands along country lanes, and city parks. While Baltimore Orioles are still relatively common here, scientists have detected local population declines and have proposed that the species be monitored.

The goal of the Mass Audubon Oriole Project is to enlist as many citizen scientists as possible in building a database about the breeding status of these magnificent birds. The data we collect now will form the foundation for future conservation efforts to ensure that this beautiful vocalist will be a permanent part of the New England landscape.

Become a Citizen Scientist!
This spring, become one of our citizen scientists by helping to document the presence of Baltimore Orioles in your neighborhood or community. In the fourth year of a pilot program, Mass Audubon is asking people to record observations of Baltimore Orioles and their nests in their backyards or favorite open spaces. You don't need to have any birding experience to participate. Try it - report an oriole.

"One of our goals is to see how many people we can get to count Baltimore Orioles in their neighborhoods, towns, and cities. The more orioles we count the more valuable the data becomes," explains Chris Leahy, the Gerard A. Bertrand Chair of Natural History and Field Ornithology at Mass Audubon. "The response so far has been fabulous, and we will be redoubling our efforts in the 2008 field season.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are beautiful birds(well at least the guys are) :tongue3: We see them here mostly when our Chinese Chestnut tree is in full bloom, Chesutnut blossums put out a rather pungent odor that evidently attracts loads of insects, which in turn attracts the Orioles to my tree during a two-three week period, but I have no idea where they are nesting in the area.

About a mile up the road from my house there used to be an Oriole nest hanging in a tree directly over the road, could not miss seeing that one in winter time.

Let's hope they return to the same area, I am not sure if they reuse the nest or not, or do a remodeling, or make a new one. I would assume they make a new nest each year, but I could be wrong.

Don

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
CG Looks like an Oriole nest to me also. A friend of mine has a home on a lake and she feed the Orioles Grape Jelly,and the go crazy over it. She uses the cheapest kind she can buy. She puts it in cocktail glasses and hangs them from feeder poles.Here's a picture taken from her deck and the set up she uses. My Daughter tried it this way and it worked real well for her also. She bought some glasses from walmart and wrapped #9 wire to them and to the feeder pole. Fun to watch them.
Van

Attachments

• Misc jan14 414 E D at Delhi.jpg
    Misc jan14 414 E D at Delhi.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 210
  • Misc jan14 380 - Copy Oriols 3.jpg
    Misc jan14 380 - Copy Oriols 3.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 218

Muddy Feet

Feb 13, 2009
MN
We put out orange slices in the spring. Last mothers day we had about ten of them in the back yard. They also love grape jelly.

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
In my best Barney Fife voice~ Loks like a Lake Loon, a web footed Lake Loon.
Nice pic's Kim.
Joe

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Don, I sure hope they come back and re-use the nest, be a shame to waste such wonderful architecture. Besides I love to listen to their music and beauty!

Van, I love the grape jelly in the cocktail glass idea! :thumbsup: I picked up the jelly yesterday, just waiting for the warmth so the glass doesn't freeze and crack. :-\

I have put out orange slices, but never have heard of the grape jelly, thanks so much for the tip Folks! I'll let you know what they think. :)

Joe, LOL!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread