Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Likely Guy said:
Hey Sandcreek, thanks for posting those!

Did she feel confident getting that close to 'Mom' or did she have a zoom? Or are they your bison?
Nope, not our bison--these are on a nature preserve.
She has a 12X zoom on her camera but the bison were really close to the county road and she took these shots out of the window of the truck.
Glad you enjoyed these pics, Likely Guy and thanks for the comments!
regards~~sandcreek4

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure looks like a little feller compared to momma...great pics.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SC_hunter said:
Sure looks like a little feller compared to momma...great pics.
SC_hunter--glad you enjoyed the pictures. The babies are really small but boy, can they run. We watched them for about thirty minutes and they were really cutting up and feeling good ;D. They'd do a little hop thing and then take off and run as fast as they could.
We've been having so much rain lately, I bet they're glad to see some sunshine :icon_sunny:.
kind regards~~sandcreek4
Likely Guy said:
Hey Sandcreek,

My best, to you and yours.

They've starting to 'farm' Bison now in my neck of the woods. Everyone stops by the road this time of year to see the babies. Magnificient beasts!

- LG
I think we have a couple of places in Oklahoma that "farm" bison, too, Likely Guy.
Ted Turner(the rich guy that owns TBS,CNN,TNN) has a place over by Fairfax, Ok(I think :icon_scratch:) and he raises yearlings.
regards~~sandcreek4

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
Excellent shots Your Daughter is a very good photographer. Thanks for posting them!
Van

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VanGone said:
Excellent shots Your Daughter is a very good photographer. Thanks for posting them!
Van
Thank you, Van, for the kind words and glad you like the pictures!
kind regards~~~sandcreek4

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More great pic's, we have a herd nearby, & it's 'comical' to watch them romp & run.

Fossis................

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fossis said:
More great pic's, we have a herd nearby, & it's 'comical' to watch them romp & run.

Fossis................
Thanks so much, Fossis :thumbsup:, glad you enjoyed these pictures.
kind regards~~sandcreek4

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Hi sandcreek! I was up there yester day with my husband while he pumped. Very wet. Those babies are too cute! Never fails to fill me with awe when I seen the bison acting like "they belong there!" I love it. Bringing them back to the prairie was the best thing that could be done. At least for my sake.
naturegirl

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plehbah said:
Lots of good eating there.

Now is the time to feast on hump and tongue, and dance all night.
They say the tongue is really good after you peel the outside skin off, but why don't you try it first and let me know, plehbah ;D.
Thanks for the comments!
Kind regards~~sandcreek4
naturegirl said:
Hi sandcreek! I was up there yester day with my husband while he pumped. Very wet. Those babies are too cute! Never fails to fill me with awe when I seen the bison acting like "they belong there!" I love it. Bringing them back to the prairie was the best thing that could be done. At least for my sake.
naturegirl
naturegirl--yes, the bison do look like they "belong". I think they are flourishing on the preserve, too! The babies probably wish it would dry out some, though! :icon_sunny:
Thanks for the comments!
Kind regards~~sandcreek4
Bridge End Farm said:
ty for sharing such a wonderful picture

beautiful animals
Glad you enjoyed the pics. Bridge End Farm!!!
kind regards~~sandcreek4

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good pics, Sandcreek. In 73 we spent a week or so down in Charon's Gardens in the Wichitas. I topped a little ridge and got between a cow and her calf. We were all surprised and she come after me. There was this little hackberry tree about five foot tall, but I was in the very top of it and tryin to get higher.

Muddy Feet

Feb 13, 2009
MN
Very good pics. We also have a few herds around buffalo and elk that we take the kids to watch. Beautiful animals.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
Good pics, Sandcreek. In 73 we spent a week or so down in Charon's Gardens in the Wichitas. I topped a little ridge and got between a cow and her calf. We were all surprised and she come after me. There was this little hackberry tree about five foot tall, but I was in the very top of it and tryin to get higher.
I bet you didn't do that again, huh, RGINN?! ;D :D Isn't it amazing how fast you can run when you feel threatened? ::) We have to stop on the road and warn people all the time that the bison are DANGEROUS. They are fun to take pictures of but you DO NOT get out of your vehicle!
We watched a cow cross the road the other day and the baby wouldn't because we were sitting there on the road( in our truck). That ole mama cow "grunted" and tried to get the baby to come around our truck. He wouldn't come anywhere near us and ran back to the rest of the herd . When the other bison crossed the road, he came with them. The babies are smart and know there's saftey within the herd. All the while his mama was still grunting(on the other side) and he made a beeline for her just as soon as he got across the road. It always amazes me how they can tell one "grunt" from another. :D
I guarantee though, if we'd have stepped out of the truck, she would have been all over us to protect that baby! The bison seem to know we, as humans, used to be a "predator" and they still consider us as such.
Glad you enjoyed the pics. RGINN!
kind regards~~sandcreek4
Muddy Feet said:
Very good pics. We also have a few herds around buffalo and elk that we take the kids to watch. Beautiful animals.
I wish we had elk here in Okla., Muddy Feet. I would love to hear one "bugle"! My brother went camping in the Rockies one time and he said it would give you goosebumps to hear that bugle echoing through the mountains.
Thanks for the comments!
Kind regards~~sandcreek4

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, actually, it did happen again Sandcreek. The old heifer treed us on a picnic table down in the Wichitas. They are the fastest animal in the world in turning around and facing the opposite direction, too. We used to see tourists try to place their kids up close to some old bull to get a picture and it would scare us to death. You have a lot of elk in Oklahoma. They released some back in 68 down in Pushmataha county but I don't know if they got established. However, the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge has bunches of them. So many in fact, they have Elk hunts in the refuge and there's an Elk season in counties adjacent to the Refuge. I'm in the middle of the Rockies and haven't seen or heard an Elk call yet, but I saw and heard plenty down in the Wichitas. You guys get the chance, head down towards Lawton and check it out.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
There are elk in osage county, west of Wynona, a private hunting place, but you can drive buy and see them, Not quite in the wild, but it's neat to see them living where they used too. Also the Nickle Preserve (I think) near Tahlequah has a herd. Several years ago, we were driving to a job in Ponca and saw an elk on a ranch by the highway. We pulled over, as did the cars behind us. We took a pic, but it was with an old instamatic, so it doesn't show too well in the photo. It was so neat to see that beautiful BIG animal strolling across the prairie. We heard later it was an escapee from a wildlife place, and a rancher shot it. But I will always remember how proud it looked, and like the bison, right at home.

ng

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread