Winchester National Cemetary

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
While the Apple Blossom Festival was going on, Ashley and I wandered off to visit some heroes in a more quiet place.

Winchester National Cemetery was established on land appropriated for burials during the Civil War. Although the land was used for burial purposes as early as 1862, the cemetery was not officially dedicated until April 8, 1866, and the land was not legally transferred to the U.S. government until Dec. 1, 1870, when Jacob Baker was paid $1,500 for the 4.89-acre tract and the deed was signed and executed.

Winchester National Cemetery was the final resting place for Union soldiers who fought and died at the battles of Winchester, New Market, Front Royal, Snickers Gap, Harper’s Ferry, Martinsburg, and Romney.

Physically, it was typical of first-generation national cemeteries built before 1870: the grounds were surrounded by a fence and thereafter a wall, a flagpole was centrally located, and a frame lodge followed by a masonry lodge served as an office and dwelling for the superintendent.

DM & DG

cemetary1.jpg

cemetary2.jpg

cemetary3.jpg

cemetary4.jpg

civilwarstone.jpg

groundstone.jpg

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
it's humbling to realize the sacrifices that were made in order to secure freedom

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is indeed 'Hallowed Ground', thanks for sharing with us.

Fossis..................

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Hi, Bobby and Ashley,
A very impressive set of pics here with an interesting history lesson about the cemetery.

Thanks for sharing,

Ray

OP
OP
Digginman

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
plehbah said:
This makes me very hungry for a delicious sandwich.

Maybe some nice turkey breast, crisp tomatoes and lettuce. I could toast some multigrain bread.

Yeah........

Good to see I helped your appetite, plehbah. ;D

DM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread