Xenas 1st Dove hunt---CAUTION: dead bird in pic (we dont eat live ones)

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Xena's 1st Dove hunt---CAUTION: dead bird in pic (we don't eat live ones)

Sept. 1st is the dove hunting opener around here. This is my yellow lab, Xena, on one of her retrieves. This is her first season and I was VERY pleased with her performance. Her very first retrieve was out in the pond about 20 feet away and she leaped into the pond, swam to the bird and brought it right back and dropped it in my hand. She retrieved 9 of the 10 that I got. It was her sister's first hunt also and she did just as good. Gonna have a lot of good years with these dogs. :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• xena.jpg
    xena.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 224

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
Re: Xena's 1st Dove hunt---CAUTION: dead bird in pic (we don't eat live ones)

Some stew meat.
My dog is gun shy. Too bad.
Newt

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You can cure a gunshy dog if you want. Basic tactic is to take a "toy" that they love with you and have your dog start retrieving it. Then have someone start shooting some distance from you while you continue playing with the toy. Slowly move the shooter closer as you play with the dog. After a while most dogs will start ignoring the shooting. btw.....have the dog on a LONG leash or rope so it can't just take off and hide under the truck when the shooting first starts.

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon

Makes sense to me. It just happened one day during a thunderstorm(when I was not at home).
Newt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread