gonna make smoke and lotsa heat

olegoat

Oct 18, 2007
southeast tn
Detector(s) used
fisher 1220x,gc-1023,tesoro tejon , fisher f-2, compass yukon 77b, tesoro bandito 11 umax

Attachments

• wds2.JPG
    wds2.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 470
  • wds4.JPG
    wds4.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 478
  • wds6.JPG
    wds6.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 470
  • wds5.JPG
    wds5.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 477

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
That looks like a lot of work,ol'man.Pace yourselves and don't over do it.And can you cut me a few cord?(kidding)

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was 14 and lived in SE Oklahoma, I had to go out everyday after school and cut wood for the winter. With an axe. I would have killed for a chainsaw and a logsplitter would have been better than dyin and goin to heaven. In western Oklahoma, we went down to the RI Depot and bought coal; not many trees out there. Good pics, olegoat, hope the weather holds.

OP
OP
O

olegoat

Oct 18, 2007
southeast tn
Detector(s) used
fisher 1220x,gc-1023,tesoro tejon , fisher f-2, compass yukon 77b, tesoro bandito 11 umax
thanks for the replys
wsd--i do pace myself, take lots of breaks,means i'm lazy-lol
rando--yep mostly hardwood, i wont cut the pine untill i have too
rginn--i bought the splitter a long time ago, saves my sorry butt, i just cant swing a maul anymore, coal mine shut down in my area several years ago,
cant buy it at 80.00 ton and haul it 35 mile.. i bought it at 40.00 here
and you will notice that nancy got my better side in the photo---lol

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you will be ready for winter, I have a bunch of trees cut down (curing), ready to be cut & split.
I will sell mine as I am on 'natural gas'. :-\

Fossis...................

OP
OP
O

olegoat

Oct 18, 2007
southeast tn
Detector(s) used
hey mac,,
i'm in dunlap, close huh

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two different things, seger. A rick is 4'x8'. I might be wrong, but we always considered two of those a cord. Different parts of the country have different interpretations, I've noticed. I don't know how olegoat does it out there, be we used to cut firewood at about 2 feet long. Stove wood was cut shorter, at about 18 inches.

OP
OP
O

olegoat

Oct 18, 2007
southeast tn
Detector(s) used
my defination of a cord is 4x4x8, a rick is 4x8 and the length of the piece of wood is vairable, i cut mine at 22 inches, fits my wood stove about right. the buster can only handle a 24 inch piece, that wont fit the stove.
we went today and pulled more logs out of the mess and loaded what we cut and busted yesterday, gonna take couple days off now, maybe tuesday if that rain dont show up, i only have about 14 rick now, need more to make it through the winter, i burn my stove hot, house is not tight enough, loose lots heat through the cracks...we will get it done, i also have a propane furnace as back up.....

capt1989

Jan 16, 2009
Arkansas, by way of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Teknetics Gamma 6000, DetectorPro PiratePro, Fisher F-75 LTD2, Berkut-5 (a russian detector) and a good ole original Garrett Propointer that is still going strong.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These pictures bring back many memories. We (my brother and I) used to do it all by hand also. We would go behind the levee in Modeste, La. and cut and load up the hardwood driftwood that the river left high and dry from the last high water. Then unload at home and cut to 16 inches and then split with a 12 lb. mall and wedges. We kept 4 cords ready. I was 8 or 9 at the time. Dad used to work us pretty hard. Made men outta us. No regrets.

capt.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to have a wood burning fire place as well as my gas logs!
Central keeps ya warm ...if you have power but, when you come in from the cold nothin nicer than a real fireplace!

Yep Nancy got your good side shes as handy with the camera as a chain saw and a embrodiary needle yes we still have our LA treasure she made!

OP
OP
O

olegoat

Oct 18, 2007
southeast tn
Detector(s) used
4-H said:
That wood...will burn good

you would not believe how wet and green that wood is, the oak looks like it is waxed when we first burst it, you can tell a difference in just a few minutes...
it will be burned this year so i will lose some heat as it takes a hot fire just to burn green wood, i have a fire in the stove now it only got into the 50's here today and rain, makes for a cool day.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I sure don't miss splitting wood, although you look to be doing a fine job LOL

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wish I could fire my gas company and use fire wood but that's another issue. Firewood is not so cheap either, especially cured and split

OP
OP
O

olegoat

Oct 18, 2007
southeast tn
Detector(s) used
had two days off, gonna hit the wood pile again tomorrow after it warms up a little, may be in the low 30's here tonite.
cjr... i dont know how cheap this wood is, its getting to be too much work for this lazy old man, bought wood around here is about 35.00 rick :help:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$150 a cord up here, split, delivered and stacked, olegoat. Course, that's probably gonna be pine, and you know how quick that burns. I don't think it's a good idea to burn that all the time in the stove, unless you got a regular cleaning program. You can get oak, but you have to call for the price on that.

OP
OP
O

olegoat

Oct 18, 2007
southeast tn
Detector(s) used
dang rginn--- as much wood as i burn i believe i could run the furnace cheaper than 150.00 a cord, i usually burn 12 or more ricks in the winter. told you my house loosese a lot of heat, can allmost throw a cat through the cracks, ( i dont have a cat)....i had to get on the roof yesterday and drop the brush down the pipe, its about 16 ft long, stove is in basement,,, i'm getting too old for this crap and i cant get nancy to go on the roof----lol :tongue3:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, we're all rich up here olegoat. They sell land by the square foot rather than by the acre. At least ever body thinks we're all rich. This is a resort area and there are some very rich and famous second home owners around here, and that drives prices up. Plus they jack prices up to gouge all the Texans that come up here to ski, and the rest of us suffer from that too. I don't have a fireplace in the place I'm in now, but if I did, I can operate a chain saw so I would get a permit and go out in the national forest and cut all I needed, for no more than my labor and the price of the permit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread