Montana Hill Climb (Picture Heavy)

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
I think it is awesome that you 2 hooked up and are now enjoying life. My wife and I go to our local state parks here in Pa. I look so forward to every Wednesday when we hit the trails with our cameras. Looks like you guys are doing the same. I am very envious of your area. Montana is very beautiful. Would love to visit. Pa has older detecting sites though so 6 in one and half a dozen in another.
Chris

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent pics...thanks for sharing! Been to MT once and the mountains sure are inspiring. :icon_thumleft:

HH

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
4-H said:
And cold as @!*^

Looks are deceiving from where you took the photo

It's all deceiving from teh pics... there is no way to capture the size and vastness of this butte in pictures.

Once we were on the top, it just looked like any other prarie, there are a few hiking trails established that make it possible to get to the top without too much drama - but the reality of the views can never be captured in a picture.

Thanks again all... I appreciate the comments. :coffee2:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics again, MJ. I like the quiet in the pics. Hope I can make it up that way and check it out in person this next summer, as it's really not that far from where we're at.

goldie1959

Oct 7, 2007
michigan
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500
beautiful pics jim. have read several books about montana but never seen such great pics. what formed the buttes, a volcano and then the earth eroded away? just wondering. this sure helps the cabin fever. BIG THANKS goldie

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pics are awesome, so beautiful thanks for sharing your day with us! Need to get Lisa away from the dreaded "HOMEWORK" more often !

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Mental Granny said:
The pics are awesome, so beautiful thanks for sharing your day with us! Need to get Lisa away from the dreaded "HOMEWORK" more often !

She usually takes me places... she's good at knowing when to leave work behind.

goldie1959 said:
beautiful pics jim. have read several books about montana but never seen such great pics. what formed the buttes, a volcano and then the earth eroded away? just wondering. this sure helps the cabin fever. BIG THANKS goldie

goldie... great question - so I looked it up to find out!

Here is what I found about this very butte: "Crown Butte is a geological formation called a laccolith. It was formed by intrusions of molten rock, called dikes, which flowed between layers of shale and sandstone that were laid down as marine deposits nearly 80 million years ago. The weak overlying layers bulged upward as the molten rock (magma) intruded, creating the lens-like body of the laccolith. Some of the dikes are visible to the west of Crown Butte, and the soft underlying layers of shale and sandstone are seen at the mouth of the canyon to the south.

After the magma cooled, it formed the resultant rock called shonkinite. Shonkinite is a distinctive rock that contains the glossy black mineral augite, which appears as small stubby crystals. Upon cooling, the rock contracted, causing vertical fractures that formed the towers and columns. While this weather-resistant rock still protects the underlying sedimentary rocks, the surrounding layers have eroded, exposing the butte.

Laccoliths are rare formations, particularly ones with exposed dikes. Crown Butte is one of the finest examples of a laccolith in central Montana and most likely the world."

http://www.nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/montana/preserves/art343.html

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina
The pics are all amazing ! Mona and yourself appear to be in great shape for this adventure !! I on the other hand, happen to be totally exhausted from just the viewing !!!!!! ;o) Love you guys !!! Margie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions