Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty good. We're goin down to Oklahoma this week, and I hope to get down to the Wichita's and check out the buffalo and longhorns. Maybe I'll post a pic of the famous (or infamous) Cave With the Iron Door, too. I meant too last time I was down there, but I couldn't find the pic in the file again.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
That's pretty good. We're goin down to Oklahoma this week, and I hope to get down to the Wichita's and check out the buffalo and longhorns. Maybe I'll post a pic of the famous (or infamous) Cave With the Iron Door, too. I meant too last time I was down there, but I couldn't find the pic in the file again.
Thanks RGINN! So what is the famous "Cave with the iron door"? Was it an outlaw hideout?
If you do come to Oklahoma this week, be prepared for HUMID weather. Its supposed to be in the upper 80's/lower 90's all week with a small chance of rain. Hope you have a fun trip!
sandcreek~

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG Sandcreek, you do not know the legend of the cave with the iron door? And you're from Oklahoma? Well, you are from up there in the northern part of the state...it's a cool story and I first heard it from one of my grandma's, but go to a book store and find Oklahoma Treasures and Treasure Tales by Steve Wilson. By all means get this book. He's kinda like an Oklahoma J. Frank Dobie. You got to have that book. Never found anything with it, but I am on my second copy of it, as I wore out the first one lookin thru it. It was never humid in Oklahoma when I lived there, but now it is when I go back. Right now the relative humidity here is at 22%. You would think we would all have skin like alligators.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
OMG Sandcreek, you do not know the legend of the cave with the iron door? And you're from Oklahoma? Well, you are from up there in the northern part of the state...it's a cool story and I first heard it from one of my grandma's, but go to a book store and find Oklahoma Treasures and Treasure Tales by Steve Wilson. By all means get this book. He's kinda like an Oklahoma J. Frank Dobie. You got to have that book. Never found anything with it, but I am on my second copy of it, as I wore out the first one lookin thru it. It was never humid in Oklahoma when I lived there, but now it is when I go back. Right now the relative humidity here is at 22%. You would think we would all have skin like alligators.
Well, I've got that book, so I'm going to get it out and look for that tale. :thumbsup:
Reading it right now---I see that the "cave" holds 11 million dollars in Spanish gold :o ! You'd better watch out for those seventeen Indians that guard the golden treasure, though!!
Its been awhile since I've read this book, RGINN, thanks for the reminder!
I was always fascinated with the story of Captain Goldie--he hid his gold somewhere to the east of where I'm at. My grandpa even looked for that gold, I think.
sandcreek~~

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
;Dwhat a coincidence, my sister just picked that pick for me at a used book store, but I haven't got a chance to read anything. I saw that chapter and it'll be the first one I read. That's a goofy looking bison! One of our artists did an elk sculpture with his nose wrinkled up kinda like that, she called it "A Scent of a Woman". Is it the same thing?

Call me a Plumber

Dec 17, 2007
Hey Sandcreek, what RGINN is saying is that they have never lived in the OK state as it has always been humid there as I grew up in Kansas and also visited the Tulsa area many times whilst growing up. The cave with the Iron Door is a treasure story about the Belle Star gang as she tore a door off a train and put it over the mouth of the cave where they secreted five million or so in gold stollen off a train headed to the Denver mint. It has a big lock on it so bring a big gun or powder charge to dislodge it and about 30 mules to load it on and you may have to make two trips. It is supposed to be located in the Wachita mts. along with a rich gold mine or two dug by the Spanards of olde. The Plumber.(Stuff happens just dont let it happen to you!)

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
;Dwhat a coincidence, my sister just picked that pick for me at a used book store, but I haven't got a chance to read anything. I saw that chapter and it'll be the first one I read. That's a goofy looking bison! One of our artists did an elk sculpture with his nose wrinkled up kinda like that, she called it "A Scent of a Woman". Is it the same thing?
Yes, naturegirl, its the same thing. This young bull was smelling a cow. They're starting to get the "fever" right now because July is their prime mating season. These are all adolescent animals by our house and they're just feeling their oats ;D .
Josie has some pics of whitetail bucks doing the same thing.
You're gonna like the book, naturegirl. Be sure and read about Captain Goldie---he buried the gold along the banks of the Big Caney River!(page 273)
Carmon~~
Call me a Plumber said:
Hey Sandcreek, what RGINN is saying is that they have never lived in the OK state as it has always been humid there as I grew up in Kansas and also visited the Tulsa area many times whilst growing up. The cave with the Iron Door is a treasure story about the Belle Star gang as she tore a door off a train and put it over the mouth of the cave where they secreted five million or so in gold stollen off a train headed to the Denver mint. It has a big lock on it so bring a big gun or powder charge to dislodge it and about 30 mules to load it on and you may have to make two trips. It is supposed to be located in the Wachita mts. along with a rich gold mine or two dug by the Spanards of olde. The Plumber.(Stuff happens just dont let it happen to you!)
I had forgot about this book and all the neat stories in it.
Now I'll be up til midnight re-reading it :D .
Thanks Plumber for the comments!!
sandcreek~~

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Ya know, speaking of buffs, July, and all that stuff... Have you read "Talking to the Moon" by John Joseph Matthews? Reading that book many moons ago, inspired me to do a woodcarving of two bulls fighting under a full July moon- the Buffalo Breeding Moon- according to the Osage. If you haven't read it, it's worth the look. He's wordy, but the insight to local nature from the Osages' point of history is great. :icon_thumleft:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandcreek,

Not sure what part of OK you're at, I may have passed your area on the way to CTH. We did spend the night @ Beaver Bend and toured Robber's Cave the next day...I do know that I passed within 26 miles or less of Fossis.

:wink: RR

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
Ya know, speaking of buffs, July, and all that stuff... Have you read "Talking to the Moon" by John Joseph Matthews? Reading that book many moons ago, inspired me to do a woodcarving of two bulls fighting under a full July moon- the Buffalo Breeding Moon- according to the Osage. If you haven't read it, it's worth the look. He's wordy, but the insight to local nature from the Osages' point of history is great. :icon_thumleft:
No, I haven't read that book, naturegirl. I'll see if I can find a copy of it :thumbsup: .
I enjoy reading about the Osages and their history here in Oklahoma.
Joise is wanting to capture a couple of buffalo bulls fighting---its something she's never got to take a picture of. Maybe this year she will and her new zoom lens will help.
River Rat said:
Sandcreek,

Not sure what part of OK you're at, I may have passed your area on the way to CTH. We did spend the night @ Beaver Bend and toured Robber's Cave the next day...I do know that I passed within 26 miles or less of Fossis.

:wink: RR
River Rat--I live in Osage county--kinda northeastern Okla. I wish I could have made it to the CTH but with my job and kids, I just counldn't get away.
:hello:
sandcreek

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics ! And hope she gets the pic she wants this season an I don't have to say stay safe I know she know them well enough to do so! Maybe you can make it to CTH4 Oct of 2011! I will meet you sometime this year whenyour not swamped an I can wear shoes again! LOL!

That is a great book i know its in Jeffs library somewhere! Now Im wanting to go searching!

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mental Granny said:
Great pics ! And hope she gets the pic she wants this season an I don't have to say stay safe I know she know them well enough to do so! Maybe you can make it to CTH4 Oct of 2011! I will meet you sometime this year whenyour not swamped an I can wear shoes again! LOL!

That is a great book i know its in Jeffs library somewhere! Now Im wanting to go searching!
Yes, Evy, I know some time this year we'll meet up---it'll slow down over here eventually. I've been praying for you---you've had a tough year! Its got to get better soon!
And yes, you don't have to tell Josie to "stay safe"....we have a healthy respect for these buffalo and don't trust them as far as we can throw them. She's always behind the fence or in a vehicle when she takes her pictures.
God Bless!
Carmon~~

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I head out pass Watonga on occasion to the canadian river. Always beautiful country and friendly people. Humidity,,rain every day here and 90 degrees. Typical mtn jungles. Love the Buffs!!
As always enjoy ya'lls photographs. :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
I head out pass Watonga on occasion to the canadian river. Always beautiful country and friendly people. Humidity,,rain every day here and 90 degrees. Typical mtn jungles. Love the Buffs!!
As always enjoy ya'lls photographs. :icon_sunny:
Thanks TnMtns! Its been really humid here and about 85 to 90 degrees also. Its just that time of year, I guess.
Do you artifact hunt out there on the Canadian River, TnMtns? My grandpa grew up near Seminole, Ok., and used to hunt on the North & South Canadian Rivers. I've got pictures of him on the river hunting geese---it looked like a great place to be.
sandcreek~~

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's very funny. Makes me laugh everytime i see Ruben do it too.. :D
Meet Ruben..

Molly. ;D

Attachments

• RUBEN27.jpg
    RUBEN27.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 259
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Molly said:
It's very funny. Makes me laugh everytime i see Ruben do it too.. :D
Meet Ruben..

Molly. ;D
I think lots of animals do that---We've seen whitetail bucks do the "nose curl" during the rut. The buffalo should start their breeding season next month. We've noticed the bulls are starting to move back into the larger herds of cows and babies(Most of the time the bulls stay off in smaller bachelor groups). Hopefully we'll have some pictures to post of bulls fighting soon! That's really something to see---They paw the ground and grunt at each other--then they bu-tt heads and the dust flies everywhere! We watched them do this last year, but Josie didn't have a good enough zoom on her camera to take pics.
Ruben is a beautiful bull, Molly! What breed is he?
:hello:
sandcreek~~

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't a clue, will find out for you though.. He belongs to a friend..
He lets you hug him too..lol.

Molly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread