curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....been seeing these little "short horned lizards" (horned toads) more & more lately. They're very sweet & slow, this one was in the back of the house near bird feeder...I do adore them.:love2:

FSCN3969.JPG RSCN3965.JPG RSCN3966.JPG

RSCN3970.JPG FSCN3972.JPG RSCN3920.JPG

FSCN3921.JPG

...and this one (same one?) was in the front, found it when I went to take pictures of the blooming cactus flowers.

FSCN4473.JPG FSCN4467.JPG RSCN4458.JPG

RSCN4461.JPG RSCN4466.JPG FSCN4472.JPG

DSCN5138.JPG ...and interesting cloud formation...:)

...forgot to add this baby one we found last year.... RSCN1130 (640x480).jpg ...maybe it's the big one all grown up!?

Last edited:

Meadow

May 27, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are very sweet little...things! I can see why you like them. :love7:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anybody that doesn't like horny toads has no soul. Gotta like those mini-dinosaurs. I've found them at 7,000' in both Idaho and Wyoming. Nice pics!
Jim

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted one of those for a pet when I was a kid.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid I used to catch them all the time and something that is neat if you turn them over in your hand and rub their belly like you would pet a cat you will put them to sleep.That cloud pic is cool.8-)

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gee, I'm impressed! I can't remember the last time I saw a horned toad. It musta been back in the 60s or 70s, in central Texas. They were very common when I was growing up there. One year we visited my mom's brother and his family out in Sweetwater, Texas. That year there was an over population of the critters. In a field beside their house, the ground was just 'littered' with them. I remember my cousin and I counted over 40 in less than 30 minutes. We were just walking/running all around the field (about 10 acres) spotting them. Of course, when I was young there were tales of them 'attacking' people and spitting blood into peoples' eyes, blinding them. lol I did 'tease/aggravate one of them once enough that it was looking at me, just rocking back and forth like it was going to jump at me. I 'backed off' and left that critter alone!!!

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lot's of Horny toad lovers out there :thumbsup:...thanks everyone!

Yup Meadow...they're lovable alright!

old digger those are some super pictures...very detailed when you zoom in, almost like a "beaded lizard" (Gila monster)...which we did find once on the highway but sorry to say, not alive :(...such a beautiful animal.

vpnavy & JunkShopFiddler....thanks guys.:icon_thumleft:

Oh yeah...I'm sure you boys out there loved to catch them when you were little...what fun! They do like to sit in your warm hands....but rub their belly's eh...maybe will try that sometime Back-of-the-boat...;)

Yes texas, we've seen the babies ones all over in certain places sometimes, know what you're talking about. Not nearly that many on our place though.

They are like little Dino's Jim!

And tamrock...sorry you didn't get to have one.:(

Your always welcome 3xflyfisher. :)

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to refer to them as miniature dinosaurs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread