tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out of the front range late in the day yesterday on my way to Montrose Colorado for the night. The sun was below the horizon when I topped Cotton Wood pass. I saw two of these big bunnies and the night light made them look as if they were black in color. Had to use the flash to capture one in the dark. I'm sure they were Snowshore Hare's, but in my headlights they sure looked black. I'd never seen a Hare this dark in color before. Saw also a Porcupine cross in front of me, but he got to the other side of the road before I could get the camera switched on and running. These creatures I spotted just below the timberline,maybe 10'000 +/- Ft. above sea level? It's getting cold at night at these elevations and at the end of this month of August, I have in the past seen some leaves begin the turn of colors.

Note in the first pic. The the cloud to the far left. I believe I see the profile old man winter casting the chill over the horizon.

Attachments

• cotton wood night 1.jpg
    cotton wood night 1.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 104
  • cotton wood night 2.jpg
    cotton wood night 2.jpg
    919.8 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey tamrock!! Neat Pics!! Now that is one Black Bunny!! Thanks for sharing!! Hope your well!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right tamrock , that :bunny: sure does look darker than normal...could name him "Black Rab-beth" ;) That old man winter sunset is pretty!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rabbit may have some melanistic genes in it. Interesting chance encounter.

images.jpg

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rabbit may have some melanistic genes in it. Interesting chance encounter.

View attachment 1034353
Thats interesting Digger, I did say I saw two black rabbits or hare's? But now that I think about it, I may have saw the same critter twice as when I took the picture I was on a steep switchback part coming down. That same hare may have run down to the next lower switchback down the hill in front of me and making me think I saw two black rabbits or he wanted me to follow him to his hole such as what took place in Alice in Wonderland :dontknow:. The two back feet of this strange bunny were snow white, just the paws. I said to myself what the hell is this domestic rabbit doing up here? So you think it's maybe a rare genetic condition this animal carries? I've looked over all the variations in color I can find on Snowshoe Hares and none are like this bunny rabbit. He was a good sized rabbit to boot. I'll be going over that pass a few more times this year before the winter shuts it down. I know where I saw it and I hope to see that guy in better day light sometime for a better picture with good light.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty pictures, Tamrock. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread