Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'Drier than a popcorn f*rt' down here, as my Uncle Al down in Texas used to say. Still a great place to wander around. San Luis lake was dry but a few water holes scattered around the area. We could see rain up on the Crestones and rain on the Sangre de Christos but not a drop where we were this time. Lots of paleo sites in the valley. Still too many tourists up here, and I couldn't get decent pics of Zapata Falls due to the people congregated there, but after seein the two elderly ladies, one with a cane, the other with one leg on crutches, and they had walked up that moderately rough trail to the falls area, I shall not say one word about all the people up there. Should have had my pic made with those two.

Attachments

• 8-12c.jpg
    8-12c.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 8-12e.jpg
    8-12e.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 8-12h.jpg
    8-12h.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 8-12i.jpg
    8-12i.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 8-12d.jpg
    8-12d.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 84

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some really lovely shots there REGINN. :icon_thumleft: The last 2 are my favorites...know what you mean about the crowds thing. And :notworthy: on the two older ladies taking that hike & in this heat...adventurous spirits won't be held back.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well ck Maria had to stop and rest along that hike up there. Ain't nothin wrong with her. So when we got up there I will admit i was pissed about all the tourists but I saw them two ladies and I thought, well, that's alright, that's pretty cool, I was particularly proud to share the outdoors with folks like that, and tickled they made it up there. And it was not an ADA trail.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I so enjoy the San Luis Valley, A wonderful place to view migratory birds. So much to explore in that vast place. Won't be long til summers gone and the sounds of fall will be herd all around. Zapata falls is very peaceful when no ones around. It has been a place of prayers for a long time.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's intriguing how the arid flats abut the mountains. I surmise that the ancient ones traveled along the lower edges of the mountains. Thank you for taking the time to photograph and post those cool pictures. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well old digger not too far from where I'm camped is the Stewart cattle guard site. Outside of Lindenmeier, this is the most excavated Folsom site in North America. Back in the Folsom era about 45 bison were killed at this spot and the people set up a camp to process the meat. They dried the excess meat and processed the hides, and over all had a pretty good happy time, lots to eat, and food for the winter. This whole valley was used as a pathway north from the Rio Grande to the Arkansas. From the paleos, the early day Spanish, the trappers, and to me when I went back home. Lots of treasure tales about this area, and a hotbed of UFO activity, from what I hear.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RGINN, those are some great pictures. I have been enjoying your travels through these pictures. Thanks.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well old digger not too far from where I'm camped is the Stewart cattle guard site. Outside of Lindenmeier, this is the most excavated Folsom site in North America. Back in the Folsom era about 45 bison were killed at this spot and the people set up a camp to process the meat. They dried the excess meat and processed the hides, and over all had a pretty good happy time, lots to eat, and food for the winter. This whole valley was used as a pathway north from the Rio Grande to the Arkansas. From the paleos, the early day Spanish, the trappers, and to me when I went back home. Lots of treasure tales about this area, and a hotbed of UFO activity, from what I hear.
Don't forget, you've got alligators in the San Luis Valley also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread