kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I like snowshoe's. Never have seen them in this area, though.

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
I like snowshoe's. Never have seen them in this area, though.
I lived in Alaska when I was a teenager, and use to hunt and snare them. In the fall when they are turning white before the snow is there to stay, they don't have much of a chance of not being seen. After the snow is on the ground and they are all white they are almost invisible. That's when I would snare them by setting snares in the well worn paths in the brush.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Aug 2014, I had an encounter on Cottonwood pass maybe a 1000 feet below timberline of this black hare in the night. It was quite large and I think it was a snowshoe, but it was BLACK and it did have a little white on it back feet I saw when it was running down the road in front of me in the headlights. It move off the side of the road and just sat there. Best I could do was take a picture with the flash on with a Kodak Z650 to get something on it. I'm heading over that pass next week, so with any luck I may see another one. Slim chance anyways.

Attachments

• cotton wood night 2.jpg
    cotton wood night 2.jpg
    923 KB · Views: 56

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dang, Rom....I had to hide the screen from Heidi....she really likes rabbits....LOL

P5150011 (1024x768).jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a artifact hunting partner like that when I lived in the mountains. He was a blue healer and was a run a round the back country mut from a pup He learned how to move fast through cactus country without steeping on a single one all on his own. That sucker could sure scale some steep high rocks and boulders also.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had a artifact hunting partner like that when I lived in the mountains. He was a blue healer and was a run a round the back country mut from a pup He learned how to move fast through cactus country without steeping on a single one all on his own. That sucker could sure scale some steep high rocks and boulders also.
Yup...Heidi's a Heeler cross. Not sure what she's crossed with...might be German Shepherd, as she's heavier-boned than most heelers, has big feet, and long legs. Really good buddy, and very well behaved. Of all the dogs I've owned` (13), Heidi's the only one that I think could survive in the wild....a very serious hunter.
Jim

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Yup...Heidi's a Heeler cross. Not sure what she's crossed with...might be German Shepherd, as she's heavier-boned than most heelers, has big feet, and long legs. Really good buddy, and very well behaved. Of all the dogs I've owned` (13), Heidi's the only one that I think could survive in the wild....a very serious hunter.
Jim
German Shepard would be my guess too. Makes me wish I had a dog again.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I haven't been without a dog, other than my military years, for any more than a few months.....going back to when I didn't know what a dog was...LOL. Actually got my 4th German Shepherd when I still had 7 months to go in the Air Force.
Jim

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
We've been looking to get a dog again. Used to have 6, but all died of old age. Lately though, life has been so unpredictable that we've been trying to wait until things settle down a bit. Almost got a Shepherd mix down in Arkansas, but that's a hard trip to make when you're loaded to the gills and have a young pup!

Hammer Stone

May 19, 2016
Deep Woods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't had a dog for 7 years after my Golden Retriever died & her best buddy my Collie dog died 3 months later. About 8 months ago Boo Bear adopted me when I moved to NW Ga.

Bear is a mix, definitely looks like he has some retriever in him. He has a great nose, eye & ears. Always leading the way on my early morning walks, sniffing things out & chasing after the game. He can fly through the woods. If I want a chance at seeing the deer, turkey etc. I have to kennel him up. Nice to have a good dog again.
BooBear.jpg Boo-Bear.jpg

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
*hehe* Seems we've gone from snowshoe hares to dogs. Had to check before I posted again - sorry Ron!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't had a dog for 7 years after my Golden Retriever died & her best buddy my Collie dog died 3 months later. About 8 months ago Boo Bear adopted me when I moved to NW Ga.

Bear is a mix, definitely looks like he has some retriever in him. He has a great nose, eye & ears. Always leading the way on my early morning walks, sniffing things out & chasing after the game. He can fly through the woods. If I want a chance at seeing the deer, turkey etc. I have to kennel him up. Nice to have a good dog again.
View attachment 1322031 View attachment 1322030
To me that's a must. My wife picked this guy up as a puppy and he's a bit over three now and he's got to be the most hair brained dog I've ever had, outside of a Beagle I had long ago. My wife baby's this dog and I'm working on him. He'll be a better and more controllable I'm sure when he get's a bit older. He's bit immature for sure. Does things like barks right in the ears of bicyclist as we pass them and scares the daylights out of em. Goes crazy when he sees rabbits out the window. For now he's on a short leash with me until I see some improvement out of him. Still ya got a love em.

Attachments

• ollie in snow.jpg
    ollie in snow.jpg
    556.4 KB · Views: 51

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Need to work off some of that energy. Get the dog so tired it's all he can do to stand up. Then praise him on his new "good behavior". He'll learn real quick to be good without having to be run/worked to death. :laughing7:

Running/working - still, make sure it's enjoyable - but energy intensive.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need to work off some of that energy. Get the dog so tired it's all he can do to stand up. Then praise him on his new "good behavior". He'll learn real quick to be good without having to be run/worked to death. :laughing7:

Running/working - still, make sure it's enjoyable - but energy intensive.
We have a few and large fenced in dog parks around and that's where I let him run and that does cool him down some, chasing balls and that. He's just one of those kind of those kind of dogs that will take time. He's loyal if anything.

Maybe we should get back to rabbit's and hare's. Has anyone other then me notice a decline in Jack rabbits over the last 30, 40 years, as I have?. As much as I travel, I rarely see them any more. When I was a teen we'd chase them on dirt bikes and it was easy to flush one out, but last year I could count on one hand the amount of Jack Rabbits I'd seen. Around ten years ago I visited a 92 year old great aunt still on the farm buy herself in Iowa with a 100 cats and she happened to mention that to me and asked, if I noticed, as she did that the Jack Rabbits are getting fewer and far between over the years.

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We have a few and large fenced in dog parks around and that's where I let him run and that does cool him down some, chasing balls and that. He's just one of those kind of those kind of dogs that will take time. He's loyal if anything.

Maybe we should get back to rabbit's and hare's. Has anyone other then me notice a decline in Jack rabbits over the last 30, 40 years, as I have?. As much as I travel, I rarely see them any more. When I was a teen we'd chase them on dirt bikes and it was easy to flush one out, but last year I could count on one hand the amount of Jack Rabbits I'd seen. Around ten years ago I visited a 92 year old great aunt still on the farm buy herself in Iowa with a 100 cats and she happened to mention that to me and asked, if I noticed, as she did that the Jack Rabbits are getting fewer and far between over the years.
The Blacktail jacks are coming back around here. Numbers have been really low for 30 years, but starting to see them fairly often, and see them runover on the road. Talked to a rancher this spring, and he told me they have had problems with the rabbits eating into the haystacks again. Getting the Blacktails back is a really good thing as many species depend on them, including coyotes, bobcats, Golden Eagles, etc.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread