Young grouse and baby rattler

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
There was a brood of about 10 young ruffed grouse in front of my house early yesterday morning before sunrise. Only managed one shot before they fled into the brush. It wont be long 'til the young grouse go their separate ways. and you only see one at a time.

The snake is a road kill I saw on the way into town this morning. I cropped it to avoid showing the gory injury.

Attachments

• BG.JPG
    BG.JPG
    219.2 KB · Views: 60
  • BR.JPG
    BR.JPG
    227.3 KB · Views: 58

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
We haven't seen many ruffed grouse this year. Very strange - but I think the trend for the area is that they have lower numbers this year. Seems I remember reading that their numbers rise and fall in a 7-year swing.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great pics Ron, as usuall! An interesting tidbit about Sage grouse...not ruffs. My daughter's soccer coach, when she was young, was a wildlife biologist specializing in Sage grouse. He told me their research showed the greatest mortality in Sage grouse chicks was rattlesnakes.
Jim

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I saw the title, I thought " Oh no...these 2 aren't going to play well together ". I haven't been out in the woods this year. I usually have the devil scared out of me at least once by a grouse taking off loudly.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a dead baby rattler along a hiking trail a hawk had killed. I recoiled up and placed it right next to the trail for other hikers along the trail to admire:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread