tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's going to be in the 40s tonight and at 55 it feels more like it's freezing after a few weeks in the 90s. I love winter. Everyone leaves the Rockies except in the ski towns and I have most of it all to me. When the snow falls deep in the high country it absorbs almost all the sound except the blowing wind through the pines. Sometimes you can hear the cold snow crystals chiming so faintly against each other like little micro particles of broken glass being blown by the shifting winds. It's only a matter of a couple of weeks now I'm thinking when all the Aspen trees begin their show of wonderful colors. I'm so ready for things to start slowing down.

Attachments

• cold night 081916 1.jpg
    cold night 081916 1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 59
  • cold night 081916 2.jpg
    cold night 081916 2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 61

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was in the mid 50s here today, and we finally got some really needed rain yesterday and last night.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
STOP IT TAMROCK!! I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!

I wasn't ready for LAST winter to end! Been wishing my best to speed up the calendar a bit, but just keeps going the same speed - SLOW! Yes, ready for winter here, also!!

TOO DANG HOT - Copy.gif

...Well, I guess this is a bit of an over-statement, as we've actually had a fairly mild summer here. ....BUT NOT MILD ENOUGH!! :headbang:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been noticing the geese gathering up and saw a flock of those Mergansers yesterday. We can't stop time, can we?

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Upstate NY and Floridas East Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew it! We do have some crazy's on this site.
It's going to be in the 40s tonight and at 55 it feels more like it's freezing after a few weeks in the 90s. I love winter. Everyone leaves the Rockies except in the ski towns and I have most of it all to me. When the snow falls deep in the high country it absorbs almost all the sound except the blowing wind through the pines. Sometimes you can hear the cold snow crystals chiming so faintly against each other like little micro particles of broken glass being blown by the shifting winds. It's only a matter of a couple of weeks now I'm thinking when all the Aspen trees begin their show of wonderful colors. I'm so ready for things to start slowing down.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I knew it! We do have some crazy's on this site.

Born & reared in Texas - spent years as a firefighter in all that heat!! My favorite temp is about 10°-15°F - is a dry cold, but not so cold that it's uncomfortable. Meanwhile the wife was born and raised up here, and she's a freeze baby! ROFL - Copy.gif

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Born & reared in Texas - spent years as a firefighter in all that heat!! My favorite temp is about 10°-15°F - is a dry cold, but not so cold that it's uncomfortable. Meanwhile the wife was born and raised up here, and she's a freeze baby! View attachment 1349572
Ice fish'n hut time in your neck of the woods. Do you get in to that Ice Fishing hut thing were they build them up like a full time live in apartment? I saw a show on those once. I think it was called something in the way of "Most Extreme Ice Fishing Huts" They had like surround sound, a stocked bar and a hot tub. Maybe get a massage table and hire a Swedish Blond masseuse to go along with those long days out on the ice. That sure be better then the days when me and my pop would sit over a hole in the ice in lawn chairs and huddled in thick blankets pull'n perch out of a little hole in the ice. I don't know why, but my dad always got a bug to go ice fishing on those cold Midwest days. I think the Korean war turned him in to a polar bear or maybe it was the Red Chinese were less active during those cold winters taking the edge off of the war? What ever it was he sure seemed to want to be outdoors hunting or ice fishing on the coldest of days. He would even say those are the best days to go hunting for cottontail, pheasant and quail, we got a have snow he'd say. I'm sure that's how I came to enjoy the winter also.

Attachments

• dad heavy coat korea a2.jpg
    dad heavy coat korea a2.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
When I lived in Finland, I went ice fishing a couple of times. No hut - just me in my Texas-bought winter wear (how warm is THAT??!??) sittin' over a hole in the ice that just won't stay closed! I was about a 1/2-hour south of the Arctic Circle then. ...Ice fishing wasn't what I had on my mind, either! :laughing7:

Have seen lots of overly fancy ice houses here. Many people rent a place in the summer months, then move an ice house on a lake and live rent-free all winter - until they have to remove the ice houses. There's a model that's been selling in town for a few years now. It's a 16' V-nose trailer, but the wheels come up, which lowers the trailer to the ice. There's generator hookups, water, LP gas, etc, etc, etc. Many ice houses have satellite antenna's on the outside - as though ice fishing isn't enough to keep their attention. :tongue3:

Businesses LOVE these guys! ...Especially the bars and liquor stores!!

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are expecting a cold front to come through here in a couple days. Highs will drop to the lower 90s and morning lows will be in the chilly upper 60s low 70s! I need to call the gas company and get my propane tank filled!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Southeast Ga. feeling the same. Humidity so bad all you have to do is walk outside and your body starts raining [haha] will be so glad when it cools down.

I sssuuurrreee don't miss THOSE days!!

We used to have a joke growing up. It could be raining cats and dogs outside - but for us, just high humidity. :tongue1:

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I lived in Finland, I went ice fishing a couple of times. No hut - just me in my Texas-bought winter wear (how warm is THAT??!??) sittin' over a hole in the ice that just won't stay closed! I was about a 1/2-hour south of the Arctic Circle then. ...Ice fishing wasn't what I had on my mind, either! :laughing7:

Have seen lots of overly fancy ice houses here. Many people rent a place in the summer months, then move an ice house on a lake and live rent-free all winter - until they have to remove the ice houses. There's a model that's been selling in town for a few years now. It's a 16' V-nose trailer, but the wheels come up, which lowers the trailer to the ice. There's generator hookups, water, LP gas, etc, etc, etc. Many ice houses have satellite antenna's on the outside - as though ice fishing isn't enough to keep their attention. :tongue3:

Businesses LOVE these guys! ...Especially the bars and liquor stores!!

I worked for a company out of Tampere, Finland. It was called Tamrock. It's now called Sandvik Mining. They build the best hydraulic rock drills in the world.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally noticed a little slow down in business at work last week. Little light snow up on Fremont Pass early the other day. We're stayin in the 60's day and high 30's at night with the monsoon season rain showers most days. I ain't doin much of nothin since I took a 5ft. fall off a loading dock couple of weeks ago. Just go to work then go to bed with a heating pad on my back.

Trapper340

Aug 21, 2016
Lebanon missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Winter time is great as long as there is no ice can't stand ice. I run a trap line before work and after. Them crisp morning with a cup of coffee are great.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally noticed a little slow down in business at work last week. Little light snow up on Fremont Pass early the other day. We're stayin in the 60's day and high 30's at night with the monsoon season rain showers most days. I ain't doin much of nothin since I took a 5ft. fall off a loading dock couple of weeks ago. Just go to work then go to bed with a heating pad on my back.
Take it easy there RG. Keep that fall protection on hand also. Workers in the mines have had fatalities from falls of as little as 5 feet. Those tanker truck drivers who deliver in bulk to mine sites have had a few death from falling from the top of those big tank trailers. They now all got to have their MSHA training or they're not allowed on site. Fatalities and serious injuries from falls are at the top of the list in work related accidents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread