kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, dragonflies will go after lots of different kinds of bugs. About all they won't normally touch are bees/wasps and things too large to carry. But I think their main diet consists of moths.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never knew much at all about them ( and still don't really ). I remember Worldtalker saying how they would tear their victims apart after catching them. I just find the many different color variations interesting.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes dragonflies will be going all about in the sky in the back yard. I can tell they're catching very small insects in flight. I can't see what the dragonflies are going after, but it's fascinating to watch how they maneuver so quickly in the sky. I've never seen a dragonfly with prey before.

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Sometimes dragonflies will be going all about in the sky in the back yard. I can tell they're catching very small insects in flight. I can't see what the dragonflies are going after, but it's fascinating to watch how they maneuver so quickly in the sky. I've never seen a dragonfly with prey before.

Next time one drops (what is left of their prey)I'll take a shot of it. They can see their prey 3 feet away by the way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread