Woodworking

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Again very well done Ron. Do you have any photo examples of the tree before and after? I see some pretty gnarly looking dead stump juniper's in the Colorado Plateau of Colo, Utah & northern Az. I'm wondering what the difference is between and your western Juniper, which appears to only grow in your state and some in California.
Thanks Grant, Ive seen Utah Juniper from Utah and Wyoming that has similar characteristics, but the wood is more of a red color, like Red Cedar.......Have also seen some from Colorado that is closer to what we had in Oregon.......

Here's a couple of before and afters....I had more raw wood pics, but lost a ton of pictures when a one of my computers crashed.

Attachments

• CopyofLamps10-10-7009_RT82.jpg
    CopyofLamps10-10-7009_RT82.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 60
  • BeforeLamps10-26-7010_RT8.jpg
    BeforeLamps10-26-7010_RT8.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 65
  • HighlightsShadows-Enhanced2.jpg
    HighlightsShadows-Enhanced2.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 59
  • AfterFinishedJuniperLamp.jpg
    AfterFinishedJuniperLamp.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 57

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Seeing those stumps reminded me of when I was stationed in San Antonio. Had an aunt & uncle who lived just a little north and they had tons of cedar stumps. I "almost" got into something similar back then! Been so long now that I can't even remember why it never happened. :BangHead:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Wow, that's awesome how you can do that.:thumb_up:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice work Ron!

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh Man. F'n fantastic. You really pulled fantasm out of those gnarly junipers. Amazing creations!. I knew you were an artist from your photography. This just reinforces my opinion. Great work!

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Many Thanks Everyone, This is a full size juniper bed in progress. Finding pics in my old photobucket account. I lost the finished pictures......I worked with pine too, and may post some of that in followup posts.

Attachments

• JuniperFullbedunfinished.jpg
    JuniperFullbedunfinished.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 55

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Found an old barn I had been eyeballing for a while and finally stopped and ask an elderly woman what the plans were for the barn falling in. She told me they were planning on pushing it over and burning it. I ask for some of the wood in advance off of it and she said yes. I carried my truck back and got a pickup load. Offered to pay her but she refused. It turns out after planeing that about half of the wood is Chestnut which died out in the south starting in the thirties. The tops are Chestnut and the legs are Heart pine. I've got 4 grandchildren all girls. All are getting a table made on the same style except for different corbels. I have one more to make. I hope. Thanks for the nice posts.

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very fine work! You've got a true talent, a good eye, and the skill few have! The ability to see it and the most important talent of all being able to get it from your mind to your hands! Salute to you!!!

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Found an old barn I had been eyeballing for a while and finally stopped and ask an elderly woman what the plans were for the barn falling in. She told me they were planning on pushing it over and burning it. I ask for some of the wood in advance off of it and she said yes. I carried my truck back and got a pickup load. Offered to pay her but she refused. It turns out after planeing that about half of the wood is Chestnut which died out in the south starting in the thirties. The tops are Chestnut and the legs are Heart pine. I've got 4 grandchildren all girls. All are getting a table made on the same style except for different corbels. I have one more to make. I hope. Thanks for the nice posts.
Awesome Rook! When I was out looking for unique pieces of wood, I considered it a form of treasure hunting. Sounds like you did the same finding some beautiful chestnut.....You did beautiful work with it too. Good for you making tables for your granddaughters.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks. I hope to finish the fourth by the end of Spring as I'm ready to start Treasure hunting again. Your work takes great imagination. All I do is check out a web site or two, get some ideas and try to keep my bride out of the shop while I'm working. Congrats on you work also.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the bed do you use those large dowel bits that the Woodcrafter Magazine sells? Just curious.

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
On the bed do you use those large dowel bits that the Woodcrafter Magazine sells? Just curious.
No, I believe what you're referring to is a tenon cutter and I've never had one....I use a hole saw, can't remember the size, but think 1 5/8" diameter. Use that to get started, then fiddle whittle the wood on the outside with a chainsaw, angle grinder and orbital sander until it fits.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So in other words you kind of do the old fashioned way. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
No, I believe what you're referring to is a tenon cutter and I've never had one....I use a hole saw, can't remember the size, but think 1 5/8" diameter. Use that to get started, then fiddle whittle the wood on the outside with a chainsaw, angle grinder and orbital sander until it fits.
This is a queen size burled lodge pole pine. I use blind scribed mortise tenon joints where the cross pieces and side rails join the posts.....The tenons are round for the cross pieces. None of them are visible, but I tried to show a detail of the joint where the side rail joins the post......Made a rectangular tenon by basically carving a 2x4 on each end of the side rail. The rectangular mortises are made with a drill and chisel. A 1/2" lag bolt pulls it tight against the post. The rectangular tenon prevents a swivel action, and the scribed shoulder prevents the head and foot from folding in.

Attachments

• queenburlbed026_RT8.jpg
    queenburlbed026_RT8.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 64
  • queenburlbed019_RT8.jpg
    queenburlbed019_RT8.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 65
  • queenburlbed035_RT8.jpg
    queenburlbed035_RT8.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 63
  • queenburlbed030_RT8.jpg
    queenburlbed030_RT8.jpg