• 1 - 13  - 8 006_RT8.jpg
    1 - 13 - 8 006_RT8.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 268
  • 1 - 13  - 8 003_RT8.jpg
    1 - 13 - 8 003_RT8.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 276
S

stefen

Its called a wood spirit and who ever dit it is quite good...

I've done a few in the last year or so and its very timely and not easy as it looks...

I carve on drift wood and walking sticks....

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
I agree with Tom,I'm surprised a news media hasn't picked up on that story. Ive never seen anything like it before Ron.Very impressive to say the least.
Van

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
What is odd is that the carved face doesnt match the poplar tree wood....like it was carved separate and then cemented to the spot carved out in the tree.....the wood from the poplar has faded quickly from the weather as the normal cut in a tree also shows....but the face remains unweathered....I think the face isnt from the same type of wood....

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COUNTRY GIRL said:
That is really cool! It reminds me of someones old Avatar :D.

Do you mean this guy?

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 216

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Gypsyheart said:
Whats odd is that the carved face doesnt match the poplar tree wood....like it was carved separate and then cemented to the spot carved out in the tree.....the wood from the poplar has faded quicly from the weather as normal cut in a tree does....but the face remains unweathered....I think the face isnt from the same type of wood....
It appears to have been carved into an older injury on the tree. Also may have been treated to prevent rapid fading.
I don't know the western trees, but it may be aspen.

I also carve walking sticks and this is very cool !! I have a large drift stump that I may try to put a spirit face on.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gypsyheart said:
Whats odd is that the carved face doesnt match the poplar tree wood....like it was carved separate and then cemented to the spot carved out in the tree.....the wood from the poplar has faded quicly from the weather as normal cut in a tree does....but the face remains unweathered....I think the face isnt from the same type of wood....

I think I agree with Gyps? I think? It doesn't look to match... but something is very weird about this?! It's not matching up. On the full closeup, look at the right side and see where the face goes behind the actual round part of the wood inside of the bark? It curves into and behind the trees original wood? The only thing I can think of is that if the tree originally had a bad spot and the inside protruded out abnormally... then it would allow for a natural form of whomever carved this? And even so, it's perfect!? Definitely strange...

Bran <><

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
MEinWV said:
Gypsyheart said:
It appears to have been carved into an older injury on the tree. Also may have been treated to prevent rapid fading.
I don't know the western trees, but it may be aspen.

I also carve walking sticks and this is very cool !! I have a large drift stump that I may try to put a spirit face on.

Yes the tree is aspen. Aspen has cream colored wood and the carving was made recently, so has not had time to weather. I believe you are right about it being carved into a scar in the tree.

Thanks to All for your input,

Ron

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions