fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took a trip with a friend to have some dental work done, while he was getting 'worked on', I strolled downtown.
Talihina means (Iron Road) in the Choctaw language, it is home to an Indian Hospital, & has a large population of Choctaws.
I stopped in one 'Indian Shop' for a visit, (I knew the woman) from some of the 'Festivals' we attend together, it is called 'Timeless Treasures', she makes crafts, & her husband makes some beautiful Jewelry.
We had a nice visit, & she invited me to come to the local 'Farmers Market' this summer, & invited me to several 'Indian Pow-wow's' coming up.
They have Indian dancers, Arts & Crafts, & good food, the indians make 'Fry bread', & Indian tacos.
She showed me one old basket, (made from river cane), it can also be used for 'winnowing wheat or corn'.
Just East of the town, The Talimena Drive starts, it is a beautiful drive through the Ouachita's all the way to Mena Ar.
I had a good day out, after all the rain & floodwaters, the sun felt nice. :icon_sunny:

Fossis...............

Attachments

• Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 599
  • Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 314
  • Picture 024.jpg
    Picture 024.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 350
  • Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 282
  • Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 270
  • Picture 016.jpg
    Picture 016.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 276
  • Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 308
  • Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 265
  • Picture 027.jpg
    Picture 027.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 261
  • Picture 028.jpg
    Picture 028.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 309
OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COUNTRY GIRL said:
Thanks Fossis! I had another great day out, even though I had to work all day. Thanks! :) It was a great trip.

Glad you could come along. :thumbsup:

Fossis............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stoney56 said:
Thanks for the pics Fossis. 8) As they say on Channel 4 "Is this a great state or what?!!"

:thumbsup:

Fossis..............

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
BTW, fry bread and honey are habit forming and fattening. LOL You might also look for meat pies at the pow-wows. Basically a hamburger inside fry bread, but some cheat and use bisquick. :P The good ones also have onion and jalapeno peppers. YUM.

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stoney56 said:
BTW, fry bread and honey are habit forming and fattening. LOL You might also look for meat pies at the pow-wows. Basically a hamburger inside fry bread, but some cheat and use bisquick. :P The good ones also have onion and jalapeno peppers. YUM.

I went to a 'festival' in the 'Cherokee Nation', & their food was great, believe it or not, I have been in Ok over 20 yrs, & only saw "Indian dancers' a couple of times, but I live in 'Lapland', where Ar laps over into OK. ::)

Fossis.............

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
fossis said:
I went to a 'festival' in the 'Cherokee Nation', & their food was great, believe it or not, I have been in Ok over 20 yrs, & only saw "Indian dancers' a couple of times, but I live in 'Lapland', where Ar laps over into OK. ::)

Fossis.............

ROFL-- :D

lessthanzero

Aug 17, 2007
Southern AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra's, they are the BEST......
Wow, that looks like a great place I would like to visit, but not in the winter....thanks for the photos.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Thanks for taking us on the trip Fossis! It was great! I know the frybread well. I lived and worked on the Warm Springs Indian Reservation for many years! They also have Pi-Ume-Sha there which is the National Treaty Days celebration and it is HUGE....and LOTS of frybread and indian tacos! Loved seeing all the regalia and artifacts in your post. Each tribe has different colors and patterns the like to use and incredible work. Sooooo enjoyed taking the trip with you! Thanks!

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lessthanzero said:
Wow, that looks like a great place I would like to visit, but not in the winter....thanks for the photos.

You're welcome

Fossis.............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digginman said:
Beautiful little town. That basket is beautiful, a work of art. Thanks for posting, fossis.

DM

Thanks, the basket is made from 'split river cane'.

Fossis.............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cynangyl said:
Thanks for taking us on the trip Fossis! It was great! I know the frybread well. I lived and worked on the Warm Springs Indian Reservation for many years! They also have Pi-Ume-Sha there which is the National Treaty Days celebration and it is HUGE....and LOTS of frybread and indian tacos! Loved seeing all the regalia and artifacts in your post. Each tribe has different colors and patterns the like to use and incredible work. Sooooo enjoyed taking the trip with you! Thanks!

Glad you came along.

Fossis.............

Vagabondy3

Greenie
Dec 27, 2012
Talihina, OK
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From Talihina here, lots of land to search. If you guys want to get together and put on a group hunt, I'm all for it!

Little River Hunter

Jun 25, 2012
I.T.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was born in the hospital there. I've only been back a couple times to drive along the Tali-Mena Drive.

I have a set of river cane baskets used for sifting & winnowing corn.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hopin it was a new one, but cool to see this post by Fossis bumped back up. Iron Road is right; it's what Choctaws called the railroad. All the older folks in my family pronounced it 'Tal-a-hee-nee'. They used to have a TB Sanotarium (that spellin's bad probably) there and sometimes my grandma would be in there and we would go visit her, but I never got to explore around the area much. Should be lots of arrowhead huntin potential around there Scotto.

Little River Hunter

Jun 25, 2012
I.T.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
During their removal, I had heard that numerous Choctaw men had brought a large ammount of flint arrowheads and buried them on a hill somewhere for future use. I don't know if its true or not, it was just something I heard. With the availablility to trade for metal points and the knowledge of how to make their own from brass, copper and iron, I don't think they would have bothered with it, unless it was significant to them.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well LRH, that's a tall tale. My family includes the Choctaw tribe on my dad's side and the Cherokee tribe on my mom's side. I live quietly and don't claim membership in either as I don't want to be a ward of the government. They adopted the ways of the white man a long time ago and knew that guns were the thing. Where that story comes from is that part of the country belonged to Caddoan tribes pre-colombian, and was probably ruled over at one time by the government at Spiro Mounds. That society probably did cache amounts of stone points. The folks who came over on the trail of tears, which is highly overrated as a tragedy, wouldn't have worried about carrying a bunch of rocks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread