Is this a black widow spider?

siz3petite

Apr 10, 2006
Southwest Sunny Florida
I found this spider right by my door as I opened it. In fact, I got its long web across my face. Ewww!! I'm not sure, but it looks like a black or red widow spider. You can see the red markings on it's body. It is about 3/4 inch measuring the span of the back and front legs. The body is just about 1/4 inch. I captured it in a bug catcher. Subsequently, I had to photograph it through the scratched up, plastic walls of the container with a handheld microscope. The photo is not ideal but I don't dare open the container. I also have to be careful that it doesn't escape. I think she / he is mad at me.

Attachments

• spiderwidow2.jpg
    spiderwidow2.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,195

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing that makes me think this isn't a black widow is the size of the abdomen. All the ones I have seen have had a a "fat" or "large" abdomen. Just in case, I don't think I would play with it.

Attachments

• bw.jpg
    bw.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 1,186

JCinNJ

Jan 25, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Maybe, it's a male? Regardless, all spiders have venom and if you happen to be allergic, you may die. Always be careful.

HH

- joe

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
It looks like one to me too...Just be safe. Put the container and all in the freezer. The freezer will kill it. I would keep it in the freezer for at least 3 days, throw it immediatley in the garbage and then take the garbage outside (okay, okay. I know that I said it would kill the spider, but I am a little paranoid about spiders, too). The container can then be put in the dishwasher, washed and used again. Hope it helps.

emtrescue

Dec 26, 2007
Church Hill, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
RON (PA) said:
It looks like one to me too...Just be safe. Put the container and all in the freezer. The freezer will kill it. I would keep it in the freezer for at least 3 days, throw it immediatley in the garbage and then take the garbage outside (okay, okay. I know that I said it would kill the spider, but I am a little paranoid about spiders, too). The container can then be put in the dishwasher, washed and used again. Hope it helps.

Just nuke it. (for an hour, lol) not really an hour, but nuke it. I'm probably as paranoid about em as you are. I seen it on here and got chills from it.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
im not so sure that is a black widow. the body looks all wrong and that isnt really an hourglass design on its stomach. also, i thought black widows made gnarled webs in dark places like under stairs and in the corners of basements. not big sprawled out webs in well lit areas like in doorways. at any rate, its best to be careful with it, just in case.

briankb70

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2008
river valley/ Fort Smith, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's DFX,Classic III, Prizim II
SC_hunter said:
The only thing that makes me think this isn't a black widow is the size of the abdomen. All the ones I have seen have had a a "fat" or "large" abdomen. Just in case, I don't think I would play with it.
the ones that your referring to are carrying their eggs.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
briankb70 said:
SC_hunter said:
Hmmm...this bad boy must be pregnant too..lol Looks like a fat abdomen to me.

Attachments

• malebw.jpg
    malebw.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,489

briankb70

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2008
Detector(s) used
SC_hunter said:
briankb70 said:
SC_hunter said:
Hmmm...this bad boy must be pregnant too..lol Looks like a fat abdomen to me.
that one isn't rounded like the first oneyou posted. first one looks female

briankb70

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2008
Detector(s) used
siz3petite said:
I found this spider right by my door as I opened it. In fact, I got its long web across my face. Ewww!! I'm not sure, but it looks like a black or red widow spider. You can see the red markings on it's body. It is about 3/4 inch measuring the span of the back and front legs. The body is just about 1/4 inch. I captured it in a bug catcher. Subsequently, I had to photograph it through the scratched up, plastic walls of the container with a handheld microscope. The photo is not ideal but I don't dare open the container. I also have to be careful that it doesn't escape. I think she / he is mad at me.
probably male. you unfortunately live in the region where 2 of the three types of Black Widows live.

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
??? Most likely it is. Nuke it, dump it but most of all don't play with it.

Desertfox

emtrescue

Dec 26, 2007
Church Hill, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Ok folks, FYI just because it dont have the "classic markings" of a black widow, it dont necessarily mean it isn't one. While calmly (yeah right) looking at different pictures of black widows, I came across a website that has numerous different pictures of em. Here it is if you dare -

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/widow.html

WilliamBoyd

Sep 22, 2007
California
Black Widows build webs in corners, not over doors.
They like dark places.
The males are tiny, and don't build webs.
Your's could be one that hasn't eaten for a while or has laid her eggs.
Look for a white fuzzy egg pouch in the web, around 3/8" round.

wazonme

Nov 19, 2007
reedsburg wisconsin
Detector(s) used
white dfx
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The daddy long legs is the most poisonous spider but they say our skin is too tough for their small teeth to penetrate :icon_study:

MangoKnees

Nov 22, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm l l
If I ever get them here are they something an exterminator can handle. I'm going to have nightmares now. :stop:

Mango

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions