Couple of old pics

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Just found these a couple of days ago. Have not seen them in years, and did not know if I ever would again.

These were taken by an outdoor magazine photographer way back when. My dad said he thinks it was for Field & Stream or Sports Afield.

My Dad is the one on the right in the first picture. My uncle Roy is on the left in the first pic, and the only boy in the second pic.

Taken at a park in Sulpher, Oklahoma.

I love the Prince Albert tobacco can they used for the worm container.

Attachments

• 4 -  6 -  8 005_RT8.jpg
    4 - 6 - 8 005_RT8.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 323
  • 4 -  6 -  8 011_RT8.jpg
    4 - 6 - 8 011_RT8.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 309

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out the sling shot around your dads neck those were the days :)

labradoodle of pa

Feb 3, 2008
newburg pa
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 Tesoro Vaquero and Tiger Shark bullseye prob
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice pictures with just the basics I was just talking to some friends about all of the gear we buy and drag along to hunt and fish now days when I was a kid my grandfather took me fishing and hunting with just the basics had alot of fun and traveled lite thanks for sharing and bringing back some old memories :icon_sunny: :happy3:

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
aa's comment about the sling shot sure does bring back memories. The rubber that was used on them came from old tire intertubes,and the leather that held what ever you were shooting came from the tongue of an old pair of shoes. Everything had a use back then even the tobacco can that held the worms.How things have changed from those good ol days. Look how clean cut those boys were.How do I know about this stuff ,I was around back then. Awesome memories Ron of great times when things had a different perspective then what they do today.
Ed

1960texan

Dec 6, 2007
Texas
Wow! Glad you found (and shared) the photo's. In that one frozen moment they look like the world's luckiest boys.

1960Texan

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
That's really cool the way they made their own fishing equipment. So where are their i-pods and video games?

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
TreasureTales said:
Great photos. Too bad today's kids, both boys and girls, don't enjoy nature and get outside more often. Were those photos from the 1950's? Judging by the quality of the photos, I bet the photographer was from Sports Afield. It was a much "classier" magazine than the more egalitarian Field & Stream.

Thanks TT,

These were taken in the 40's. My dad was born in january of 1939. For some reason I thought these were taken when my grandpa was away in the navy during WW2.

Either at the end or shortly after the war. ???

Thanks Ed and AA, I used to carry those slingshots the same way. Like Ed said made with inter tube rubber and shoe leather.

Thanks ALL,

Ron

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love those photos and thank-you for sharing them, being a girl I did not carry my sling shot arond my neck it was in my hip pocket! ;D NO seriously it was !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions