• IMG_1098.jpg
    IMG_1098.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 339

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Doesn't look like the Gypsy moths we have here. But we don't have spiders like the black and yellow one posted the other day from the Carolinas either.

I've never seen one quite like this one. Looks like part horsefly, part cicada, and something else..

Wicked Wanda

Feb 29, 2008
Apple Valley, CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Ace 250 , & Pro Pointer
It is a beautiful creature anyhow. That is one very nice picture and thank you for sharing that with all of us. :thumbsup:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good photograph, I believe it is a Rustic Sphinx moth, otherwise known as the Six Spotted Sphinx....

Don

Wutdahay

Jul 13, 2006
Pahrump, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those moths sure are beautiful to look at but get rid of them as fast as you can. Those are the buggers that the "Green Tomato Horn Worm" turns in to. The worms will eat your tomato's and pepper plants faster than you can spit out a few choice French words. More than likely, when you see the moth, it's laying its eggs. The worms grow quickly and look exactly like the name implies. They are bright green, very hard to spot among the tomato and pepper leaves, and they have a sharp looking horn at the end of the body. Don't worry, they won't sting you. The horn is just for looks. Just grab on to the worm and pull hard, and then say your goodbye's as you stomp on it. They sure can stick to the leaves pretty well. This is truly the only way that I have found to control them. Pesticides don't seem to work too well, especially if you are gardening organic. One rumor I have heard to try to control the worms from showing up is to... ((Warning!))... Plug your ears if you are squeamish... Gather as many of the worms as you can, throw them in a blender, and then pour out the contents around the base of each plant. They will stay away from their own dead amigo's. Again, this is only a rumor. I have yet to try it out. Let me know if someone knows if this works. I might gain the courage to try it out. Just the thought of worm guts in my blender makes me squeamish.

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Watdahay, I think you're correct... and I'm glad you spoke up, since I was about to embarrass myself (again) by saying it looks like a Blackburn's Sphinx Moth, which is only found in Hawaii, seen here: http://hbs.bishopmuseum.org/good-bad/manduca.html

Excavator, Actually the black and yellow garden spider are quite common in all of the lower 48 states. As a kid I had to help my father collect specimens of these in nearly every state, as his life's work was researching the molecular structure of their web (as odd as that sounds).

OP
OP
nightwolf

nightwolf

Jul 8, 2008
Bureau County, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Wow thanks! I was wondering what was demolishing my peppers and tomatoes, very good to know ;D
I did pick it up with a stick and give it the football fling after I photographed, it wouldn't just fly away when I shook the vine it was on that I wanted to stake up. I'll keep an eye out for more of them.

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
NHbenz said:
Watdahay, I think you're correct... and I'm glad you spoke up, since I was about to embarrass myself (again) by saying it looks like a Blackburn's Sphinx Moth, which is only found in Hawaii, seen here: http://hbs.bishopmuseum.org/good-bad/manduca.html

Excavator, Actually the black and yellow garden spider are quite common in all of the lower 48 states. As a kid I had to help my father collect specimens of these in nearly every state, as his life's work was researching the molecular structure of their web (as odd as that sounds).

I just haven't seen them yet. :-\

We get a pumpkinseed spider every Halloween, I'll see if I can spot him this year.

Wutdahay

Jul 13, 2006
Pahrump, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excavator, If you can get a picture of that "pumpkin seed" spider, I would love to see it. I think I've seen one once before on the internet. What I remember is that it was orange and looked like a jack-a-lantern. Here is a picture of a bug I found while I was in Utah this Summer. I can't remember the name though.

Attachments

• IMG_0641.JPG
    IMG_0641.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 220

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I think it is called a katydid, not sure though. Great pic.

Welcome to TreasureNet. Glad to have you with us.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's amazing how some bugs are cute and others you just wanna step on..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread