Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

hu
    Gypsyheart~ Queen of Rust

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    60 times

Gulick House, in Lawrence, NJ

Old, historic home called the Gulick House, in Lawrence, NJ, that is currently being threatened by demolition, much to the dismay of many of the people who live in Lawrence

A prosperous farmer named William Gulick had this wonderful house built for his large family- a wife and eight children- in the 1850's. The house was constructed in the Italianate style- a very fashionable style of architecture in the mid-19th century.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gul038.jpg 
Views:	880 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	194040   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gul044.jpg 
Views:	864 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	194041  
    I go a great distance,while some are considering whether they will start today or tomorrow

us
    May 2007
    stroudsburg pa
    whites dfx/xlt
    3 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: Gulick House, in Lawrence, NJ

why are they thinking of tearing it down

us
    Jan 2008
    New Jersey
    Whites XLT

Quote Originally Posted by mike in pa
    why are they thinking of tearing it down
    I am guessing greedy developers with plans to put up 8,000 sq. ft McMansions on 1/2 acre plots or jam a gazillion townhouses on a few acres. Luckily, houses, especially new ones, ain't selling too well these days in New Jersey. So, maybe just maybe, it will be spared.

Please don't get me wrong. I am not against property owner rights or sensible development. It's just a lot of what has gone on in NJ and I'm sure in plenty of other areas in the past 10 years has been just plain wrong.

HH

- joe

us
    May 2007
    stroudsburg pa
    whites dfx/xlt
    3 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

hey, I feel your pain all to well here in the poconos. woods are gone and nothing but houses and strip malls

us
    My Find of a Lifetime!

Oct 2006
    Philadelphia Area
    White's V3i Excalibur 1000, Teknetics T2 SE
    262 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

I used to drive by the house on my travels when I worked in the area. If I remember correctly it is on the porperty of abig Pham. company. I have spoken to detectorist who said it has been hit by vandals, as well as night detecting over the last few years.

I was under the impression that Lawrence Township was trying to preserve the historic house as green acres.

us
    Aug 2007
    NJ
    EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
    105 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

well lets hope for once, they dont win ( big developers) that home is beautiful and a crying shame if demolished.
    Live your life in such a way, that when your feet hit the floor  in the morning, satan shudders and says, OH CHIT, SHE'S AWAKE.

Mar 2008
    Warren county NJ
    Whites MXT
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

HI

I have heard about this house but never seen it! Thank you for showing these pictures. Here in warren county NJ where i live they have this thing now where they whan't to pisserve land,so those greedy land develipers can't build.You have to have or build on 10 acears or les,in order to build a home or buildings ..ectr. Its funny there always talking about saving history..HM.

Priscilla

us
    Sep 2007
    New Jersey
    Whites V3i and DFX
    791 times

Just saw this post. I detected this place for about six hours a long time ago. found a lot of junk and some horse stuff. not much left as I could tell it was hit hard by many in the past.

Sponsored Links