New from Central Valley California

Bianca74

Mar 31, 2012
Central Valley, California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi There! I live in the Central Valley California....the famous 1 1/2 drive to the mountains or the coast place. Well, maybe not famous, but true. I live near the Motherlode Country. I'm new at gold panning.... I've gone out a few times with the kids for fun and recently bought a map that marks where gold has been found and realized that I was miles and miles from any place marked in "red" on the map. I really want to know where I can pan. I've heard the nightmare stories of being a claim jumper and in no way shape or form want any part of that. How do I know where the public areas are to pan for gold that I won't get hassled? I would love to go out by Hornitos, CA since it's not much of a drive for me. Can anyone help me and tell me where I can find that information. I've gone to Coulterville as well and on the web it says stop by the information center in town. They were very friendly, but they weren't as helpful as I'd thought they'd be, or maybe just hoped they'd be! One lady that runs a shop in town just kept telling me that I could pan on BLM land but to get there I'd have to pass over private property and she said I can't do that. Shouldn't there be some kind of easement to get to public land? Has anyone ever panned out in this area? Also, I think it would be fun to join a club. Is there anyone on this forum from my area that's part of a club? I know I have lots of questions but I want to have a good time with the kids and would rather not land in jail over it... :wink: I sure do appreciate any advice.....
Thanks! Good luck to all!!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MG_127.gif
Bianca74

PG16996 (2).jpg

Mayor

Apr 3, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are you located? Can tell you some spots around here not to far off where you want to go.

OP
OP
B

Bianca74

Mar 31, 2012
Central Valley, California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where are you located? Can tell you some spots around here not to far off where you want to go.

I'm located between Merced and Madera. I went up to Coarsegold this past weekend and went to one spot just outside of town past the propane store. I didn't find anything:unhappysmiley: but, I didn't get arrested either.
If you can share some spots with me that would be awesome! It'd be great to find some gold, but even just going out with my family is a huge thing.
Thanks!!

Mayor

Apr 3, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are South of me I am in Amador County around Jackson on Hwy 49. If you make it this far try the Mokelumne River right at the Hwy 49 crossing plenty of parking in 2 small lots and access to the river. Just past the river is Electra Rd that follows the river east. Spots along there but watch out many cars are broken into along there. As you come into Jackson from the south you will parallel south fork of Jackson Creek. Lots of access there. When you get to Hwy 88 turn east toward Pine Grove go about 1/2 mile and just after crossing the middle fork of Jackson Creek there is a place to park that has picnic benches next to the creek. If you stay on 49 north Detert Park has some access to the South Fork. Continue on 49 into the town of Sutter Creek and turn right on Church St next to city hall and the police station go 1/2 mile to Minnie Provis park on the left good access to Sutter Creek there. Good luck and have fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread