Garrison New Mexico and old farm site [Between Portales and Lovington]

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
If I lived in the area of Clovis or Portales I'd definitely detect these two sites.

Garrison: There was a skating rink and general store here until the late 1940s, not much left but skeletons of buildings by the mid-50s. Late 1960s there was still a junk pre-WWII Plymouth or LaSalle on blocks in the barn with a blown engine I worked on for a while figuring to build a hotrod out of it, but left home before I got far enough to haul it out. It was still there in the 1970s.

East of Garrison a few miles and identified on the other map is my granddads old farm, buildings identified on the map, though they've been torn down 30 years and it's all pasture or cultivated now. Most people who knew him, including his kids, believed entirely he had money buried out there, though I personally never put much stock in it. But he never spent any money on himself, drove a 1939 pickup, used a 20 year old hand-crank tractor, had crops coming in every year, and had nothing when he died for the kids to fight over.

To be honest there's no telling what sorts of interesting relics a person might find there. Granddad was a blacksmith, a junk collector of anything he might find a use for some later time. He didn't trust anyone, most especially [with good reason] his offspring.

Might be worth someone taking a look.

Just if you are close enough to make it fun.

Jack

Edit: If you decide to work my granddads old farm site you might watch for weirdness that seems out of place or doesn't fit with the surroundings. He ran a mechanics shop in Celeste, Texas, from the 1920s until 1943, when his youngest son graduated from high school. My dad ran an automotive upholstery shop in the same building with only a partial wall separating the two businesses.

My dad used to relate the story that Walter [granddad] had two pipes driven into the floor of the garage to use for a stop when he drove cars under the hoist to work on them. A few months before my uncle Earl was to gratuate granddad began building a 'house' on the back of his truck, which was the buzz of the community.

The day after graduation my dad went next door and found my granddad had pulled one of the pipes, about 8 feet long, up and it was lying on the floor. He had the chain hoist attached to the other and was pulling it up. When he finished, he poured both into buckets. One was full, a-few-inches-from-top-to-bottom with silver dollars. The other wasn't entirely full, but was nearly so.
Once he'd finished emptying them he carried the buckets to the house-on-the-truck, came back and shook hands with my dad, and drove away. He never returned to Celeste, Texas until he died and was carried back there to be buried next to his long estranged wife.

Pictures granddad Walter Hudson at the bottom of the page. Does this look like a man with money to bury?

Attachments

• Garrison NM Ghost Community2.jpg
    Garrison NM Ghost Community2.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 497
  • Garrison NM Ghost Community.jpg
    Garrison NM Ghost Community.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 498
  • Granddad\'s old farm.jpg
    Granddad\'s old farm.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 484
  • Papa3.jpg
    Papa3.jpg