Pilgrim State Hospital , Long Island

Don57

Feb 7, 2009
Lindenhurst NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 6T / Prizm 9" Spider Coil / Prizm Mini DD Coil / Garretts Pro Pointer / Lesche trowel
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been thinking of hitting Pilgrim State Hospital come the spring time . There are acres upon acres that are not near any of the occupied buildings . The grounds were built on 100 years ago and most of it has been abandoned for the past 30 or so years so there must be stuff to find . Has anyone ever hunted there ? Do the police bother you at all ?

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Don, I was wondering the same thing! Seems like it would be an awsome place to hunt, but I have to say that I am leary about it and have never talked to anyone who has hunted there. Have you gotten any info?

OP
OP
Don57

Don57

Feb 7, 2009
Lindenhurst NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 6T / Prizm 9" Spider Coil / Prizm Mini DD Coil / Garretts Pro Pointer / Lesche trowel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Don, I was wondering the same thing! Seems like it would be an awsome place to hunt, but I have to say that I am leary about it and have never talked to anyone who has hunted there. Have you gotten any info?

I have never hunted there but since I posted the above question I have spoke to a 3 people who have . They have dug everything from coins to old medical instruments . The amount of open land is tremendous (a couple hundred acres) so none of them went near the still occupied buildings . They warned me of a few areas near abandoned buildings to stay away from due to shady activity . From what a couple of them say , as long as you have a NYS metal detecting permit the OMH/State Police won't bother you , another told me he was chased off the property a couple of times . I know there are desolate areas that you don't get bothered but they suggest hunting with a few people because there is a bad neighborhood on the north side of the property . The west side of the property is now a marked large hiking area with a public parking lot . I do plan on going here once the spring gets here and the weather warms up a bit . I have a buddy that wants to join me so if you are interested keep in touch .

Last edited:

AntoriP

Feb 16, 2013
Suffolk County Long Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never hunted there but since I posted the above question I have spoke to a 3 people who have . They have dug everything from coins to old medical instruments . The amount of open land is tremendous (a couple hundred acres) so none of them went near the still occupied buildings . They warned me of a few areas near abandoned buildings to stay away from due to shady activity . From what a couple of them say , as long as you have a NYS metal detecting permit the OMH/State Police won't bother you , another told me he was chased off the property a couple of times . I know there are desolate areas that you don't get bothered but they suggest hunting with a few people because there is a bad neighborhood on the north side of the property . The west side of the property is now a marked large hiking area with a public parking lot . I do plan on going here once the spring gets here and the weather warms up a bit . I have a buddy that wants to join me so if you are interested keep in touch .

I would love to join you guys if you put together a hunt. Taking a look a Google maps I am curious as to where you are referring to on the west side ??? I thought the entire property was off limits? Regardless, I'm in if you want to give it a shot.

OP
OP
Don57

Don57

Feb 7, 2009
Lindenhurst NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I would love to join you guys if you put together a hunt. Taking a look a Google maps I am curious as to where you are referring to on the west side ??? I thought the entire property was off limits? Regardless, I'm in if you want to give it a shot.

The west side of the property runs along Commack Rd in Deer Park . There is a dirt parking field on the property with signs that say it is a hiking trail . There are telephone poles laying on the ground that form the parking lot and act as barriers to prevent people from driving into the woods and hiking area . I have not been over there in a while but I am gonna say the parking lot is about 3/4 of a mile north of Long Island Ave in Deer Park .

AntoriP

Feb 16, 2013
Suffolk County Long Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok.. Looking at Google maps I see exactly where your talking about. You can even see the telephone poles you refer to lying on the ground on the east side of Commack Rd. That's the New York State Conservation area. I don't know if that area is part of Pilgrim State, but what the heck. Seems like a good a spot to hunt as any. There are probably some nice trails winding through those woods.

Jayanthonyr

Mar 12, 2013
Nassau County Long Island
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin master
whites bullseye II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im new to detecting and been doing a lot of different sites. If you decide to go to pilgrim state i'd like to join you guys if you don't mind. Went there a lot as a kid to roam the abandoned buildings so have a little bit of an idea of the grounds. plus I been trying to go there but I was also warned not to go alone.

OP
OP
Don57

Don57

Feb 7, 2009
Lindenhurst NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I live only a couple of miles away from Southard's Pond and I have thought about the area but never went because of parking . Most of it is surrounded by small dead end residential streets and I don't think the residents would be too keen on strangers parking in their spots . Like most of Long Island it was at one time Long Island Indian land . I forget which tribe was in that area.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Don57

Don57

Feb 7, 2009
Lindenhurst NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It was originally Pilgrim property (which is owned by NY State) but when NY State started cutting back they tore down quite a few Pilgrim buildings that stood in that area (the largest of all the buildings stood right off of Commack Rd just east of the hiking parking lot) . The State then decided to turn it into a hiking trail and preserve.

HogGrin

Mar 20, 2013
Suffolk Co. Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did some research and learnt that the area where the hiking entrance is, is where the main hospital once stood. Towards the end of the hospital still having "patients" it was call Edgewood Hospital. Check out this website. Edgewood Hospital.com

HogGrin

Mar 20, 2013
Suffolk Co. Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh ya....I did view the entire website, there is even a decent map of the grounds too. I lived a few towns away from there growing up. But never been there. I do remember the place being in the news every so often because of the politics involved or the local youths doing something crazy there, then the demolition in the summer of the early 80s. Was creepy then and as far as I am concern still is. But still would like to give it a MD once over.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Don57

Don57

Feb 7, 2009
Lindenhurst NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just taking another look at this area on Google maps and just realized there is parking on the Sunrise Hwy service road and then just take a short walk . I'm gonna have to do that . Maybe this weekend , it's supposed to be real nice out .
Let us know if you find anything. Post it here, or a link to it.

OP
OP
Don57

Don57

Feb 7, 2009
Lindenhurst NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Let us know if you find anything. Post it here, or a link to it.

I went here today , it was actually quite busy . They have a paved parking lot at the south end of the trail but it was full . I had to park illegally so I knew I couldn't stay long . In the short time I was there (about 30 to 45 minutes) I dug 3 dimes (1992 , 2001 , 2010) and 6 pennies (1952 , 1979 , 1988, 1999 , 2003 , 2007) . I didn't go too far in because I wanted to keep my car within sight . I will go back soon and make it into the area near the pond .

ffighter14

Dec 13, 2013
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks I live just minutes from Pilgrim State and the Brentwood overlook which is right next door. If anyone ever wants to organize a hunt when the weather gets warmer I would appreciate an invite.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread