Pilgrim State Hospital , Long Island

OP
OP
Don57

Don57

Feb 7, 2009
Lindenhurst NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 6T / Prizm 9" Spider Coil / Prizm Mini DD Coil / Garretts Pro Pointer / Lesche trowel
Primary Interest:
Other
I work in Deer Park about 1/2 mile away. Went there during lunch today. Plenty of places to park inside grounds and hide car. Checking it out this weekend

I do want to go there this spring / summer . I can't make this weekend but if you plan another trip let me know . I was over there a few weekends ago when I was killing some time while my son was across the street at SCCC . I wasn't MD'ing , I was just doing some looking around . If you go in off the Sag Pkwy just past the old train station there is a long abandoned road on the left that looks pretty interesting . There was a NYS OMH policeman sitting in his car nearby though . I don't know if they would allow it . He didn't seem to be bothering with the few cards that went down that road .

OP
OP
Don57

Don57

Feb 7, 2009
Lindenhurst NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 6T / Prizm 9" Spider Coil / Prizm Mini DD Coil / Garretts Pro Pointer / Lesche trowel
Primary Interest:
Other
Earlier today I wrote and mailed a letter to the commissioner of the NYS Office of Mental Health asking permission to MD in a few certain areas of the Pilgrim grounds . I assured her that it was in areas that are not currently used and that they are quite a distance from any buildings that are in use . Lets see if I get a response .

OP
OP
Don57

Don57

Feb 7, 2009
Lindenhurst NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Earlier today I wrote and mailed a letter to the commissioner of the NYS Office of Mental Health asking permission to MD in a few certain areas of the Pilgrim grounds . I assured her that it was in areas that are not currently used and that they are quite a distance from any buildings that are in use . Lets see if I get a response .

I recieved a very very nice response today. It started off by thanking me for asking , stating that usually no one asks permission before entering the grounds. All the areas that I asked about are no longer owned by NY State. The areas were sold off by NYS in 2006 to a developer. The Director was nice enough to give me the contact info of the developer and she also wished me luck. I will write a letter to the developer either today or tomorrow. I will post the response for anyone that is interested.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You still haven't made it there? Just do it.

OP
OP
Don57

Don57

Feb 7, 2009
Lindenhurst NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You still haven't made it there? Just do it.

I'm gonna go thru the proper channels and get permission. These areas are visible and the NYSOMH PD seemed to have increased their patrols all throughout the grounds , so even though it's "technically" not their property anymore , I don't want to give them any reason to question me or take my MD. If I have a letter in my pocket stating I have permission to be there then I'm safe. I drive through this area 3 days a week and have definitely noticed a big increase in police patrols.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes you may find some silver around the hospital. To me the only two spots that interest me is a small portion of the field next to commack rd park and ride. The other has nothing to do with Hospital and that would be the decommissioned cruise missile silo also off Commack Rd. Take a look at that area in Historic Arial's there are area's that are wooded now that might interest you that the state does own.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread