looking for old maps!

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
The only maps I can find on that area are old USGS maps from the 1890s.
http://docs.unh.edu/nhtopos/nhtopos.htm
Not as old as I would like but still useful :)
I will let you know if I come across any older maps of your area,
ether online or in libraries. That is a good place to look,
try some of your local libraries.
HH,
Donny

Woody14

Apr 3, 2007
Central New York
Detector(s) used
MXT
If you can find a 1874 copy of a D.G. Beers Atlas you can get a very will detailed map of the whole county you want. I got mine from a treasure hunter in Syracuse: Jerrys Treasure Den. Don't know if he's still open or not though. Of course it was a xeroxed copy, lol.
He had all the counties done like that and was selling them in packs.

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
Woody14 said:
If you can find a 1874 copy of a D.G. Beers Atlas you can get a very will detailed map of the whole county you want. I got mine from a treasure hunter in Syracuse: Jerrys Treasure Den. Don't know if he's still open or not though. Of course it was a xeroxed copy, lol.
He had all the counties done like that and was selling them in packs.

http://www.historicmapworks.com/
This site has maps from the same period available for viewing or buying. I use it a lot. I believe some of the maps are from the Beers atlas.
Lots of good maps on this site. Just not any for the counties you were looking for jman, sorry.
HH,
Donny

ted750

Aug 20, 2006
oh my gosh, my mom had a country house in warren when she was little, and when we were visiting my grandparents up there my mom bought a map of warren in an antiques shop, it's from the 1820's! unfortunately, my mom gave it to her sister who lives in nj (we live on long island) but i should be visiting soon, and when i do i'll be sure to take a picture for you, gosh, you post just made me remember that map, it probably has great info! i went detecting on my grandparents 1790's estate/farm and found a whole mess of old farm equipment and an 1849 half dollar! i'll be sure to get some pictures for you, when i have them i'll pm you and you can send me an email.

Woody14

Apr 3, 2007
Central New York
Detector(s) used
MXT
What I like about the Beers atlas maps is that it is so detailed on the roads and highways. I can literally find areas by matching up the map with google earth. Also he puts in the names of the residences and where the buildings were located. Along with lochs, railroad depots, churches, schools ect.
Very exciting stuff when looking for detecting areas :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread